Chapter 73 - Behind Tom's Back

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

The following day was a busy one for the Riddles.

Tom had set aside the morning to welcome his son back home.

He stood with Harriet, Mark, and the Trendells on the receiving section of Platform Nine and Three-Quarters to greet James, Mae, and Lily once they stepped off the Hogwarts Express.

Mae vanished into the confines of her room as soon as she walked into Riddle Manor, but James gladly spent his time with his younger brother.

It surprised him that Mark asked first to speak privately instead of colouring or playing a board game.

As the two held their secret meeting, James furrowed his brow while he listened to his little brother's recollection of events.

"........And that's what I overheard." Mark finished with a frown.

James sat beside him on the floor of his bedroom as he stared off into the distance while he considered what his little brother had just said.

"........So Mum and Dad want another baby?" He mused.

"Does that mean we'll have a new sister?" Mark frowned.

"Well.....it could mean lots of things." James shrugged.

"Lots of things like what?" Mark asked.

James laughed as a small smile danced across his face, "I suppose it doesn't really matter does it? There's not much you and I can do to stop any of this."

Mark looked away as a miserable pout clouded his little face.

"What's that for?" James asked, "Are you upset that there'll be someone younger than you in the house?"

"No......" Mark sighed, "What if....What if someone else comes who's mean?" His eyes widened as he gasped and exclaimed, "What if someone comes who's even meaner than Mae?!"

"That won't happen." James flatly determined.

Mark blinked as he watched his older brother nod in gentle reassurance, "That won't happen, Mark. I'm sure our new brother or sister, whoever they'll become, will be more like us and Mum than Dad and Mae. Won't that be nice? There'll be someone small for you to watch over."

No matter what James said, Mark's frown remained.

"Come on......" James said after a moment.

He slowly stood and tapped his little brother's shoulder while he smiled, "Lily wanted us to meet  in her backyard at four. We can't do much about the baby, but we can all build a snowman together, can't we?"

"Yeah!" Mark cheered.

Without hesitation, James pulled him to his feet before they bundled up in their winter coats and set off running across the grounds of Riddle Manor towards the Trendells' humble house.

It would have unnerved James to realize that across the hallway, Mae's room sat empty, her hundreds of dolls still and staring.

Mae hadn't deemed an invitation necessary to go and play with Lily while her brother's back was turned.

—————————————————————

Across the snowy grounds of Tom's estate, on the Trendells' property, Lily walked out to the very edge of her backyard, behind the line of bushy, decorative trees, and opened her mouth to let some of the falling snowflakes land on her tongue.