Chapter 85 - Desperate for Assistance

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

On the evening that Harriet revealed the happy news she had learned earlier that day, Tom was beside himself with joy.

She had almost forgotten how much her doting husband had pampered her during her previous pregnancies.

He asked a hundred questions and gave her a thousand loving kisses.

Harriet smiled through the night as Tom cradled her close in his loving embrace, as if she were made of fragile glass that could shatter at any moment.

When morning came at last, she woke to Tom gazing down at her with a look of fierce devotion glimmering in his dark eyes.

".........And how are you this morning, sweetling?" He asked as he idly stroked the ends of her long, dark hair.

"Fine." Harriet said as she yawned through a  languid stretch, "I slept well.....Did you?"

"Don't worry about me." Tom whispered as he bent down and kissed her lips gently, "I'm not the one who's carrying a life."

Harriet chuckled quietly as she pulled him down for another kiss, but Tom's concern for her well-being could not be pushed aside easily.

"Give me a moment, sweetling, and I'll send for Lawrence to bring our breakfast." He purred.

"......Here?" Harriet frowned, "No, I.....Why would we eat in here? I want to be downstairs with the family, like we always are."

"You usually prefer your nest when you carry our children." Tom reminded her as he gazed down at her with that same fondness in his eyes.

"Not this early on!" Harriet laughed, "Honestly, Tom, what's the matter with you? You've never been this protective so quickly."

Tom quickly shut out the hideous flashbacks of Mark's birth that raced through his mind.

".........Call it learned instinct." He smirked.

—————————————————————

If Mae hadn't seen it clearly in her impromptu nightmare and woken with her affected arm burning, she never would have believed it.

A whimper escaped her throat as she fought her way out of the covers while nauseating rage pulsed through her.

To think that her parents would dare bring not just another girl into their midst, but a rival.....Mae could imagine no higher insult.

She barely bothered to pull on her house robes before she fled her dormitory.

As she pounded through the corridor, she forced thick tears to swell and fall from her eyes as her impossibly fair face twisted with weighty anguish.

By the time she reached the heavy, wooden door, she was wide awake and wild.

Her thick, dark hair was messy and unkempt, her clothes appeared ragged and wrinkled, even her feet had blackened from being slapped against the aged, dungeon floors on her desperate run.

She practically threw herself against the door as she banged on it with her fists with all the urgency of a chased prisoner seeking refuge from an oncoming and inevitable persecution.

—————————————————————

Deep inside his personal chambers, Severus Snape had just finished critiquing another submitted essay when the sudden torrent of noise against his door demanded his attention.