Chapter 18 - Fortunate Son

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Harriet was not as accustomed to sneaking in and out of Hogwarts as her lover.

It took a bit for her to figure out how to get Merope into the castle undetected.

Eventually, with Ron and Hermione's help, the Golden Trio managed to guide Tom's mother into Hogwarts using a cobwebbed, ancient passage not far from the Chamber of Secrets.

Harriet frowned as she watched Merope glance around in wonder.

"Hogwarts was the first place that ever felt like home to me." Harriet nodded.

"I can see why, it's.....it's lovely." Merope whispered as Harriet, Ron, and Hermione led her through the stone hallways.

Ron blinked, but Hermione and Harriet frowned.

"......Miss Gaunt?" Hermione asked.

Merope mirrored Hermione's expression as she asked, "Is this your first time seeing Hogwarts?"

"Yes, dear." Merope answered, "I'm afraid that it is."

Harriet's heart broke while she listened, but Hermione quickly and tactfully tried to assuage the awkwardness of the situation as she smiled at Merope and said, "Well, we're happy to have you here! I'm sure Tom will be fine, he's quite strong and very smart."

"Thank you, dear." Merope smiled sadly at Hermione, "My son is indeed a special young man."

While Hermione and Merope chatted, Harriet walked beside Ron, who threw her a sorrowful glance of pity.

His family had felt plenty of financial strain over the years, but that night, as he met a witch who had never had the privilege of attending Hogwarts at all, Ron realized just how fortunate he had truly been.

—————————————————————

The night was cool and foreboding as Tom made his way up the stone steps to the impressive front door of Riddle Manor while Harriet and her friends marched his mother through Hogwarts.

He took a deep breath as he raised a hand and used the elegant, brass knocker to announce his arrival.

Tom couldn't help but smirk as he eyed the grandeur of the building.

The mansion itself stood tall and imposing, with elegant brickwork and sweeping lines of handmade shingles across its wide, high roof.

After Tom banged the knocker against the door, he blinked in wonder as he marveled at the possibility that Riddle Manor could very possibly be his birthright.

Had Tom Riddle senior fathered sons before him?

The idea that someone may have come to claim the Riddle inheritance first made Tom's face twist into a grimace of irritation.

His thoughts were called back to the present though as he heard footsteps approach from inside the house.

Tom straightened his back and put on his most charming smile as the large front door slowly swung open.

An elderly man in a dapper black suit peered out suspiciously as he asked, "Good evening.....sir. May I help you in some way?"

"Good evening to you, sir." Tom nodded politely, "I've come to call upon the master of this house."

".....At this late hour?" The elderly man asked with an incredulous scowl.

Tom assumed the muggle in front of him to be the estate's butler as he nodded and replied, "Yes, sir. I do apologize for my unusual timing, but I'm afraid it's a rather urgent matter."