Chapter 108 - James and Lily

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Whatever chaos had been caused between Harriet and Tom by Mae's reappearance quickly became buried by the joy they each felt upon learning of their son's engagement.

"I made a bit of an understatement, didn't I?" Harriet asked as Tom stood behind her, hands wrapped around her waist as his lips pressed gentle kisses against her cheek after they read his letter, "James is like you too, in better ways than his sister though, I'll give him that."

Tom was too proud to engage in simple banter.

His heart close to bursting with pride, he gently raised a hand to turn Harriet's face towards his before he pressed his lips against hers,

Before Merope and Tom senior could come down for breakfast, Tom junior slyly scooped Harriet into his arms and carried her up the stairs.

"Aren't we going to tell your parents?" Harriet blinked, "Your mother will be thrilled!"

"Of course we are, sweetling," Tom nodded. He cast Harriet a seductive smirk as he hurriedly brought her down the hallway and into the decadent seclusion of their bedroom, "We just have a bit of celebrating to do first."

Harriet gasped as Tom closed and locked the door with a nod of his head.

Playfully, he tossed her onto the soft covers of her nest before he climbed over her.

As their lips met, Harriet marveled at his flawless use of magic.

She hadn't so much as seen him blink and yet, by the time Tom's lips met hers again, neither of them wore a single stitch of clothing.

—————————————————————

The entirety of wizarding Britain rejoiced when the happy announcement of James and Lily's engagement was widely reported.

The Minister and his wife soon found themselves flooded with congratulatory letters and a plethora of well-wishers.

Tom silently, grudgingly put his prejudice against the Trendells aside.

To celebrate the occasion, a large party was thrown by the Minister for his eldest son and future daughter-in-law, on the second Saturday of Hogwarts' winter recess.

Everyone from Ministry employees to foreign dignitaries to common witches and wizards who gladly wandered in from the streets came to the event.

The Ministry's halls overflowed with tables of food.

The noise level rose to a constant, grating buzzing as hundreds of conversations happened all at once.

James and Lily barely got to speak a word to each other the entire evening.

Whenever they found themselves alone at last, it seemed a new face always appeared to offer a smile and more glad words or unwanted advice.

Hours into the party, as one of magical Britain's most popular entertainment groups performed in the center of the Ministry's lobby for all to see, James sighed to himself.

As grateful as he was to his parents for the event, he would have been happier with a quiet evening at home, with only Lily and their families in attendance.

She had gotten away from him some time ago, after even Mark had been lost to the vast crowd.

James blinked as he suddenly felt a hand press against the blade of his right shoulder.