Chapter 95 - Justice Coming

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Harriet mercifully laid unconscious during the next, woeful hours that passed.

The creeping strings of dark dread that had crawled through her veins gradually ebbed away.

Under threat of imminent death, the medical team performed to Tom's expectations as they successfully diverted the curse's effects away from Harriet.

Once it was all over, the healer who placed the small, lifeless body in Tom's arms kept her head down to avoid showing her tears to the Minister.

Silence filled the room.

Tom Riddle had made his bargain.

The price had been paid.

Harriet had survived, still deeply asleep, with her chest rising and falling as normal, healthy breaths filled her lungs.

Tom clutched his pain to his chest as he turned his back on everyone.

"Tom....." Merope began, her voice tight with sorrow as she attempted to comfort her son.

"Get out." Tom whispered harshly without so much as turning his head, "Get out......All of you........Leave us alone."

Merope frowned as she reluctantly followed the healers out of the room.

As she made her way down the corridor to find her grandchildren, Mae didn't even look up from the magazine she had found to read.

James and Mark bounded over immediately with their eyes wide and their hearts pounding.

Merope bore the burden that Tom could not in that moment as she drew both of her grandsons close and informed them of the terrible news.

Mark wailed.

James grit his teeth in sadness and bitter defeat.

Merope only mentioned the outcome to the boys, of course.

She knew James and Mark were too young to learn about the awful decision their father had made.

————————————————————

For once, Tom Riddle junior did not know what to do.

With his stillborn daughter in his arms, he shuffled over and all but collapsed onto the side of the bed Harriet lay on.

His breath came in sharp, painful pants as he looked down at his sleeping wife and stroked the side of her cheek with his thumb.

Guilt overwhelmed him as he contemplated what he should say when Harriet's green eyes opened.

Should he tell her the truth for once?

........That he had been too cowardly to lower her into her grave and raise their children in a life of lonely solitude?

Too selfish?

Too greedy?

Should he tell Harriet he hadn't been brave enough to wake up in the world each morning knowing she was no longer a part of it and never would be again?

In horror, Tom slowly turned to look at the little face of the tiny form that lay swaddled in his arms.

He swallowed thickly as his dark eyes scanned over the baby girl, somewhat premature but still as perfect as Mae, James, and even Mark had been at their births.

Long eyelashes, chubby cheeks, soft, miniature lips.

Tom let out a sigh as he clutched his daughter close and took Harriet's hand with his free one.