Chapter 39 - A Father's Love

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

The following morning, Madam Pomfrey returned to the Chamber of Secrets to inquire after both her patients once the Riddle family had woken.

The beautiful baby continued to do well, along with Harriet, although she was left sore and exhausted from the birth.

Tom devotedly stayed at his wife's side while Madam Pomfrey completed the necessary exams on his mate and daughter.

Hogwarts' healer reviewed the results of her last diagnostic charm when the door to the Chamber opened and the whispering of several voices filled the cavernous room as footsteps began to sound from the central walkway lined with statues of serpent heads.

Madam Pomfrey and Tom exchanged incredulous glances while Harriet protectively clutched the baby to her chest.

"Forgive me, Madam Pomfrey...." Tom asked as he narrowed his eyes, "But who else was invited here this morning?"

"No one to my knowledge, Mr. Riddle." Madam Pomfrey scoffed.

Tom distrustfully skimmed her thoughts with a wordless burst of Legilimency.

It alarmed him to learn that Hogwarts' healer had been truthful.

No one had mentioned the Minister's intended arrival or Professor Trelawney's experience to Madam Pomfrey during the previous night.

Before Madam Pomfrey or Harriet could follow, Tom leapt to his feet, rushed out of the stone bedroom that housed Harriet's nest, and stormed into the Chamber's main area.

—————————————————————-

"Good morning, Tom! And congratulations to you!" The Minister for Magic called out cheerfully as he approached.

Professor Trelawney and Professor Dumbledore walked at his sides.

"Yes, congratulations, Tom." Dumbledore echoed.

"Thank you both, Minister, Professor....." Tom nodded as he forced himself to stay calm and polite, though he did narrow his eyes at Professor Trelawney, who wrung her hands while she refused to meet his gaze.

"Forgive me, I didn't realize we'd have visitors this morning." Tom added with a pleasant smile, "If you'll give me a moment to ready my wife, perhaps she can-"

"-Oh dear boy, we're not here to impose!" The Minister for Magic chortled.

"I.....beg your pardon, sir?" Tom frowned.

"We've only come to ask you a few questions." The Minister for Magic said as he smiled graciously, "You see, Professor Trelawney had a vision that was quite concerning, that's all."

"........Concerning, sir?" Tom smiled.

"Tell us, did anything odd happen yesterday? Here, in the Chamber, when the child arrived?.....Or perhaps soon afterwards?" The Minister for Magic asked with a feigned smile.

Tom instantly locked himself behind an iron tight wall of Occlumency as his charming expression faded.

While he hid his own thoughts and emotions, he clearly read those of the three people who stood in front of him.

Fear, doubt, apprehension.......motivation.

He saw the anxiousness in Dumbledore's twinkling eyes as the trio eagerly listened to hear what Tom purposely concealed about the bizarre events during his daughter's birth.