Chapter 8: Awake

Three days have passed since the attack on the unconscious girl. Kagome went back home to buy more snacks and items for travel. Also to get her friend new clothes since they were torn. Kaede spent her time collecting medicinal herbs for Kagami's injuries, Shippo helping out as well. Miroku and Sango have their usual talks here and there on the situation at the moment.

As for Inuyasha, he would go off on his own to think, finding his usual spot by the well the best place. However, at night, he would sneak into the spare room Kagami was in to check on her. He doesn't want to show how worried he is or the others would take notice. He doesn't feel quite comfortable yet to share his deep secrets with them and cause another stir like with Kikyo.
.
.
.
On the third night, he continued his nightly routine and once again snuck into the room without waking anyone. He saw that the girl was still sleeping soundly, no signs of waking up yet.

Inuyasha sighed as he made his way towards the corner to sit down. It's been three days already. Were her wounds that bad? He knew they were, after all, he was the one who carried her there. He remembered the amount of blood she lost, the girl was near death. Whether he admits it or not, he just wants her to move or show some sign of waking up. The fear of losing her once more consumes his thoughts. He didn't notice his answered prayers until he heard a soft groan to his far left.

Ugh, what happened? My shoulder is killing me. Kagami sat up slowly, gently touching her bandage shoulder. The girl tried to process her surroundings and recall the order of events that led her here. That's right, someone saved me before I bled out. Kagami placed a hand to her forehead trying to remember everything that had happened. She wrapped her arms around her body as she looked around a bit trying to adjust her eyes to the darkness.

It's really cold here, where am I exactly-Eeep! M-my top is gone! She covered her bandaged chest with her arms and tried to look for something to wear. Where...

"They're to your left." That voice sounds familiar. Kagami felt around for her clothing, having trouble due to the darkness of the room. Inuyasha walked over quietly so as not to frighten the girl. "Here." He picked up the clothing and placed them in her hands, looking away respectfully. Kagami carefully took the pair of clothing out of his hand, adjusting her sight to the figure in front of her. "Ah, thank you, um..." "It's Inuyasha." That confirms it. The girl thought, recalling back to her nightly dreams of the dogman.

The girl faces away from him to clothe herself the best she could. Only half of her top was wearable as the other side had torn with her injured shoulder, but it was enough to cover her wrapped bosom.

First-person pov

Once I finished putting on my clothes, I turned back to Inuyasha with a questioning look. "Inuyasha, where am I?"

"You're in a spare room in Kaede's hut." He replied with ease, not making any eye contact.

I looked down at my hands that laid weakly on my lap. My body feels so weak... I looked back up in his direction. "I see, how long was I unconscious for?"

He looked at me with a frown on his face. I couldn't tell if it was a negative feeling towards me or to something else entirely. His amber eyes held a different emotion. Why does he look so sad...? His voice snapped me out of my thoughts before I could dwell deeper into his heart. "About 3 days now, it's surprising that you can move around after a cut that deep." He said, pointing a finger at my bandaged shoulder.

I immediately placed a hand on the wound, gently caressing it. He's not wrong. My shoulder hurts like hell but not enough to completely immobilize me. If the cut was so life-threatening then it's strange that the wound is recovering so quickly. My expression soured as I recalled the events that led to this outcome. All because that demon wanted something from Kagome. Kagome...That's right! "Ah, wait I left a friend of mine back home."

He didn't look too surprised, in fact his answer shocked me. "I'm guessing Kagome right? She's here sleeping in the other room with everyone else." Everyone else? Kagome never told me about this whole other world stuff, though thinking about it now, it might not have been believable. 

I briefly recalled the times Kagome would talk about her weird bad boy companion. I looked at Inuyasha tilting my head. He doesn't seem as insensitive and rude as she claimed. Was it another guy then? Thinking about our recent shopping, the pieces started fitting together. "It all makes sense now..." I mumbled, gently rubbing my head. My head was still throbbing, probably from over thinking it after just waking up.

"You should go back to sleep." He said softly. I looked to see he had moved back to the corner he sat  prior to my awakening. "Thanks, but I'm not tired." I'm way too anxious to sleep at the moment.

Inuyasha slouched more in the corner, closing his eyes. "Your body needs more time to rest, besides no point in staying up when everyone else is asleep." I hummed at his comment. He has a point.

I looked up to the ceiling of the room I was in. "I guess I'm just not comfortable. I mean being nearly killed by a monster. Surrounded by the unknown, it scares me. I just can't relax enough to sleep." I said honestly. I don't want to hide the fact that I'm anxious about being here.

He opened a tired eye looking at me before closing it again. "I'll stay here to protect you. Whatever questions and concerns you have can be settled in the morning, so relax and get some rest." My eyes widened at his words of comfort before my expression softened into a warm smile. He's as caring as he was in my dreams. However, there were still a few thoughts that were bugging me.

"But-" I could hardly get the first word out before I was met face-to-face with Inuyasha. "No buts, now lay down and stop being stubborn." He places his hands on my shoulders and gently pushes me down onto the futon.

I turned my head to the side, suddenly unable to look him in the eyes. He's so close... "I could've done it myself." I mumbled a lot quieter than I expected. He had a small grin on his lips. "Not with that attitude." He said rather slyly. I pouted, still looking away from him. Smartmouth.

He backed away and returned to his spot in the corner sitting crisscrossed with his arms folded. I raised an eyebrow curiously. That position doesn't look comfortable for sleeping. "I'll be here if you need anything. For the time being, get some sleep." His tone was soft. His voice flowed like the sweet nectar of honey. There was something comforting about it that made me want to listen to him. Although there was one more thing I wanted to say. "Hey, Inuyasha?"

He opened his eyes again looking very irritated. "What is it now? I thought I told you to go to sleep."

I pulled the cover up and held it close.  "Thank you, Inuyasha, for saving me." I said, giving him a warm smile.

"Nothing to thank me for, I'm just glad I got to you before it was too late." He stated.

I chuckled under the blanket. "Hehe, I'm glad I met you. Having someone as kind as you with me is comforting." Inuyasha turned away trying to hide his face, but I could faintly see the light rosy pink tinting his cheeks. "Just go to sleep already! I'm tired." I laughed to myself, finding his flustered appearance rather entertaining and adorable. "Alright then, goodnight Inuyasha."

"Good night." After that it was silent and all I could hear was the rhythmic chirping of crickets outside. So this is Inuyasha...to think he was real... I unknowingly smiled to myself as I soon started to fall asleep as well.