Chapter 34: Truth Hurts

(A/n: Guys I'm really sorry for not updating for awhile. Honestly it's been hard to find motivation lately to edit these chapters with work and school going on. I can't help my urges to sleep the day away whenever I'm free for once 😅. Anyway all I can really say is that I'll try my best to update whenever I have time but thank you to those who waited and are still reading this. I hope you guys enjoy!)

3rd person pov

Back at the temple, Kazuto was sitting on the roof waiting for Kagami to wake up again. The little fox, Aisho was watching as he was fiddling with something in his hand.

Ai sat up on Kazuto's lap as he used his little paws to bring his hand closer. "Hey, whatcha got there?"

"Shards of the Sacred Jewel." He said opening his palm to reveal them. "They're from the priestess with the weird clothes."

"Really? I heard that one shard can increase someone's strength substantially." Ai said. He grinned mischievously as he tried to grab one. "Why don't we put them to good use?"

"Not interested. I could care less about the sacred jewel. Our only priority right now is keeping the dog away from Kagami." Kazuto said keeping the shards away from him. Ai pouted as he looked up at him in thought.

"What?"

"I've been wondering about something."

Kazuto raised an eyebrow at his partner noting the sudden change from his usual playful tone. "Go on."

"Is your love greater than your hatred?" He asked rather seriously.

Kazuto tilted his head in confusion. "I don't quite understand what you're asking me."

"Then let's put it this way. If Kagami begged you to spare his life would you do it?" he asked.

"No." He said nonchalantly. Even if Kagami ended up despising him he will stop at nothing to make Inuyasha pay for his crimes. "What is the purpose of this?"

"Just making sure you're not letting your heart cloud your resolve, Reaper." The fox said. His eyes darkened as his smirk turned sinister. "Don't want to make the same mistake again."

"Hah, I'm no fool." He huffed turning his head away.

Ai snickered before turning his attention to the sky that was faintly tinted by the green barrier covering the area. "By the way, have you noticed that insect over there? It's been flying over the barrier for a while now."

"Someone's probably watching us. I wouldn't be surprised if it's because of these shards." He said while hiding the shards away.

"Well then." Kazuto watched as Ai jumped off the roof swiftly making his way over to the flying insect.

"Fox Fire!" He said blowing a large blue fireball from his mouth. The insect couldn't escape as it was consumed by the flames and incinerated on the spot.

"All taken care of~!" He said in a playful tone. Ai lay against the wooden rail of the temple as he watched his partner walk away. "Going back already?" Kazuto nodded already making his way inside.

"Good luck!" The fox called out wishing him the best. Kazuto merely sighed as he thought about how to approach the unconscious girl. I knocked her out...he thought realizing that he dug himself a bigger hole than he imagined. Kazuto clutched the bouquet of flowers he dropped earlier hoping they would suffice as an apology. He groaned, lightly hitting his head against the door before opening it. Kagami was wide awake now looking out the closed window with a melancholic expression. Sensing his watchful eyes she turned around not surprised by his sudden presence.