Chapter 27: There For You

-later that evening-

Vibrant hues of orange and red filled my gaze as I awoke to the now-setting sun. My eyes lingered at the sight for a while as I tried to remember what happened. Right, I passed out from exhaustion. I sat up and looked around, noticing no one else was there with me. Where is everyone?

Laying beside me was the treasured necklace that I always wore. Recalling what they did earlier, a small smile graced my lips as I reveled in my little accomplishment. Mom, I was finally able to protect someone.

As I placed the necklace back where it belonged, I noted the fresh bandages wrapped around the palms of my hands leaving only my fingertips bare. They feel a lot better. Kagome must have treated them.

The silence was starting to become suffocating so I got up to look for someone and hopefully distract myself as well. I don't want to think about what happened right now. Luckily I didn't have to wander off too far before finding Shippo, who was washing his face by the riverbank. "Hey, Shippo."

He turned around, rubbing the water out of his eyes before he started doing his usual freakouts whenever he was concerned. "Huh, Kagami? What are you doing? You shouldn't be up yet."

"Sorry, no one was there so I got worried. Besides, I didn't feel like laying around after everything that happened." I said fiddling with the ends of my hair.

"I get what you mean. Everyone's been pretty down. Inuyasha left to wash all the blood off. Miroku and Sango went somewhere to talk. Kagome was with them at first but I'm not sure about now." He informs.

"I see." There wasn't much to comment about as Shippo and I couldn't come up with anything else to say. I prided myself on being able to stay positive and cheer people up but honestly, I was stumped.

"Kagami I don't want Inuyasha to lose himself. I still want to stay with everyone." He mumbled keeping his gaze on the ground.

I sighed deciding to take a seat next to him. "Me too Shippo. Me too."

Shippo's sad gaze met mine as his tail drooped to the ground. "Kagami, will Inuyasha really forget us one day?"

I started petting his head to try to ease his worries. It was hard seeing the little guy so upset like this. "Of course not. As long as we stay with him then I'm sure he'll still remember us..." I said. However, it was hard to push back the doubts that swirled in the back of my mind. Inuyasha didn't recognize any of us today when he transformed, not even Kagome. If he becomes a full demon someday then...will he really forget us?

I wonder if he's okay right now. "Shippo I'm going to go look for Inuyasha, okay? You can head back to Miroku and the others."

Shippo ran up to me and lightly tugged my pant leg. "But Kagami, you're not well enough to move around. I have to watch over you to make sure you're okay."

"Thank you but I'll be fine Shippo, trust me. I'm just going to check up on him. I'll make sure to get plenty of rest afterward." I said, giving him a reassuring smile.

Shippo contemplated for a moment before sighing to himself, understanding there was no convincing me otherwise. "Okay but try not to push yourself." He said while letting my leg go.

"I won't." I gave Shippo a quick hug to show my appreciation before taking my leave. I walked along the riverbank thinking about how Inuyasha may be doing. I wouldn't be surprised if he was still washing the blood off. The poor guy just can't catch a break. I can't imagine the guilt he must feel. The scent must be driving him crazy.

It didn't take long until two figures appeared in my peripherals. My instincts took over as I hid behind a nearby tree, stiff as a board. Were they...I took another peek at the two. Kagome was laying on Inuyasha's back while he held one of her hands that was on his shoulder.