Chapter 20: Defeat and Recovery

~Flashback~

Kagami was currently marking off a list of names of the people she met today. She stared down at the paper before turning to her partner who was patiently waiting for her to finish. "Say, Inuyasha?"

His ears twitched as he looked back at her. "Yeah, what is it?"

"I was wondering if you still wanted your wish granted?" She asked while rolling the list up, sitting beside him.

Inuyasha raised an eyebrow until he recalled his wish. It's been so long that he nearly forgot the reason why he came to this village. "Right, to become a full demon."

"You told me the consequences of gaining such power. I don't want it if it means giving up my heart." He mumbled as he gazed at the woman who stole his heart.

"Why the sudden change?" She asked, curiously.

"Hmph, it's been years already and you're asking that?" Inuyasha sighed as he noticed the confused look on his lover's face. His cheeks became a rosy red as he turned away from her.

"To give you up or become a full demon. The choice is clear as day. Besides...you taught me that being a half-demon isn't so bad." He explained.

"Inuyasha..." Kagami swooned as her heart danced around in delight. Inuyasha jolted as he felt her lay against his shoulder holding his arm.

"So what about you?" He asked still quite embarrassed.

"Hm?"

"I know you can't grant your own wishes but if you had the option what would it be?"

Kagami hummed as she fiddled with his hand. "I never thought about it before. I pretty much have everything I wanted."

"Really there's nothing at all?" He asked, holding her hand.

Kagami sat up as she cupped his face and placed her forehead against his. "Mhm, there's nothing more valuable to me than you. As long as I get to spend the rest of my life alongside you, I desire nothing else."

~Flashback end~

I said that yet I guess not all dreams come true. All I wanted was for him to live a happy life. That's why to the me now...

You have to wake up

...why?

Because we still have a duty to do. We have to protect him.

...

Protect his life. Don't let him die.

"Inuyasha..." I awoke on the cold rubble staring up at the night sky. Was I dreaming? The familiar smell of blood filled my nostrils as my right arm lay there limp. I sat up feeling out of breath as a sharp pain shot through my chest.

Ugh...what's going on? I took in my surroundings to see Sango and Koharu laying unconscious next to me but no one else was near us. Where's Kagome?

My heart filled with dread as I spotted her hunched over someone I wish wasn't on the ground. "Inuyasha..." No, what happened to him?

There standing away from them was three figures. Kagura, The girl who stole souls, and a man covered in fur that I did not recognize. Is he Naraku? "All because of him..."

I won't let him get away. I grabbed my bow and arrow, ignoring the shoulder pain, aiming toward them. That mirror cracked when I hit it before. If I can break it, then Kagome's and everyone else's souls will return. Even if I get hit again, that's a risk I'm willing to take. I thought before firing away.