Chapter 16: Goodbye Lily

3rd person pov

For the rest of the week, Kazuto decided to stay in the village to help Kagami as repayment for her kindness. The two quickly became good friends and found comfort in each other's presence.

It was a bright warm afternoon day as the two sat in a field together enjoying the scenery. Currently, Kazuto was watching Kagami as she happily makes some flower crowns.

"Will your friends be returning soon?" He asked, watching his friend pick up some of the flowers she had collected on her lap.

"Yes, I think they will be here either tomorrow or the next. What about you, Kazu? Will you be staying for a while longer?" Kagami asked as she struggled to fit some daisies into the crowns.

"Unfortunately not, I'm considering leaving tomorrow to return home." He said laying down on the soft grass.

"Oh, will you at least stay long enough to meet them? They're wonderful people and I'm sure you'll like them too!" She asked hoping he'd stay a while longer.

Kazuto closed his eyes, humming in thought. "Possibly."

Kagami had a small frown at his unsure answer as she continued to fiddle with the flower stems in her crown. "What will you do when you return home?"

"I have some duties to attend to. I also need to start making preparations." He said sitting up.

"Preparations? For what?" She asked, pausing her progress for a moment.

He looked at her before giving her a playful grin. "It's a secret."

She chuckled, deciding to play along. "Oh, deciding to become Mr. Mysterious huh?"

"Maybe. It's a surprise for someone." He explained.

"Someone? Ooo who is it? Your lover?" She teased curiously.

Kazuto looked at Kagami with a deep affection unknown to the girl before looking down at the flowers next to him in longing. "No, but I do love her."

"Eh?" Kagami turned to him quite shocked at how somewhat right she was. As a lover of romance, she quickly became interested in her friend's romantic affairs. "For how long exactly?"

"All my life. I've lost track over the years, but I've always loved her." He shared wholeheartedly.

Kagami was very impressed by the devotion he has for his crush. "Whoa, that's some dedication. Though if you've loved her for so long, why haven't you confessed yet?"

Kazuto's warm smile immediately turned sour as a bitter frown took over. "Because someone got to her before me."

"Oh, I'm sorry!" She panicked, feeling guilty for opening possible old wounds he had.

"It's okay, that was in the past. I believe fate gave me a second chance to be with her again." He commented looking up at the sky with a determined gaze.

"I see. What does that have to do with not telling me about the preparations?" She asked, still interested in knowing what he was planning to do back home.

"As I said, it's a secret." He said with a look she wasn't familiar with.

Kagami stared at him more confused than before. That didn't answer my question, but I'll let it go for now. She continued the flower crowns until she finally finished, and presented her work. "All done!"

"They're beautiful," he said, complimenting the lovely work.

"Good!" Kagami moved to sit in front of him before placing the flower crown on his head. "Here ya go!"

Kazuto sat there in shock before moving a hand to caress the thoughtful gift on his head. "You made one for me?"

"Yup to commemorate our friendship! Besides, I wanted to give you something before you left." She stated, remembering the small charms she gave her friends before their departure.

Kazuto's heart warmed as his smile grew from the kind gesture. "Thank you, I'll treasure this." He took a moment to glance at the second one noting that she wasn't wearing it for herself. "Who's the other one for?"

Kagami thought to herself about who to give the other crown to. Kagome or Sango would probably like this. It's a bit big for Shippo and Miroku wouldn't mind anything if it's from a woman. Hmm...Inuyasha might be fun though. "Inuyasha!"

Kazuto's mood quickly shifted at her answer, trying to contain the bitterness he was all too familiar with. "Him? Why? From what you told me about him, he doesn't seem like the type to wear this stuff."

Kagami gives him a mischievous grin making her schemes all too obvious. "For a laugh." To her, she found the thought of getting Inuyasha to wear the crown challenging but also a chance for a fun interaction.

Kazuto says nothing for a few seconds deadpanning at the girl's outstretched idea. "Do you think he would accept it?"

"Probably not, but I can sweet talk him. I imagine he'll get flustered and stubbornly say he doesn't want it." Thinking about it now, it's kinda cute. And if I succeed...

"Uh..." Kazuto stared visibly concerned as his close friend squirmed excitedly, lost in her own little world.

Kagami calmed herself as her bright positive mood saddened. "It does suck you have to leave though, who knows how long it'll be before we see each other again."

"Well, I believe we will see each other again sooner rather than later." He said, surprisingly unbothered about their separation.

"What do you mean by that?"

"Call it a hunch. After all, I am leaving before you, maybe we'll cross each other's paths." He said, admiring the beautifully bloomed White Lily that swayed beside him.

"That would be great if we did. Oh, if we do meet again, maybe you can take us to your village!" She said, hopeful, as her optimistic mood returned.

"Well, I'm not against the idea. You may even get to meet Luna." Kazuto said softly as he picked the lily off the ground.

Kagami cheered at the possible opportunity, falling backward onto the flowers with a boisterous laugh.

The pair stayed there in a comforting silence as the day rolled by. Kazuto takes a glance at the girl he grew fond of. Her eyes were closed as she lay there on the soft flower-filled grass. He looked down at her deep in thought as he admired the way the sun complimented her complexion. "I'm glad I got to see you." He murmured.

Kagami started to stir from her light nap. "It's getting late, Kazu. Let's start heading back-what are you doing?" Kazuto's arms were on either side of her upper body as his face was near hers. The sudden close proximity made the girl confused, wondering what he was thinking.

"I wanted to give you a present too. As a thanks for everything." He explained giving a warm, honest smile.

"Which is?" She asked, raising an eyebrow out of curiosity.

"Close your eyes."

She nodded giving him the okay, as she trusted him not to do anything that would make her uncomfortable.

After a bit of waiting, there was a soft feeling on her forehead as her body suddenly felt exhausted. "Kazu...to?" Was that what I think it was? I should say something, but I feel so tired.

Kazuto moved away and got up, taking the other flower crown in her hand to leave the White Lily he had instead. He took one last glance at the sleeping beauty mumbling one last thing before walking away from the life he had here.

"Until we meet again..."