Chapter 43: Journey Through Memory Lane Part 2

The Phoenix Flower.

It is said that with consumption the flower will heal all ailments and rejuvenate a person's strength.

However, even with all its healing qualities, finding the flower proved to be rather difficult. Said to grow in the Phoenix's Den, not many knew where it was nor dared to invade its territory in fear of evoking the wrath of the majestic creature.

Yet it was still a necessary risk to take for one as it was the key ingredient for the medicine needed for Kagami's recovery.

Where the hell could it be? The half-demon thought as he searched endlessly for the flower.

Over two years have passed since their first encounter. Inuyasha had grown accustomed to living with Kagami and her antics along with the two demons she harbored. Aisho, the Nine-tailed fox, was positioned as her guard to protect her from any trespassers that threatened to do harm. However, the half-demon thought he was lazy and goofed around too much with his pranks. He wasn't fond of the Fox's unbearable clinginess to Kagami and it was hard for him to tell his truths from lies. Safe to say he was just a nuisance.

The other, Kazuto, wasn't around as often yet he found him much more aggravating than the Fox. He was a Reaper responsible for taking and guiding the souls of the dead. He appeared to be a stoic man but that was far from accurate. The demon was very protective over Kagami, nearly killing him on their first encounter. If Inuyasha had to describe him, it was overly emotional to an extreme. The only thing he tolerated was his pet cat Luna, who seemed to like him as well.

Despite all his grievances with the two they all managed to find some way to make peace with Kagami's presence. However, with the recent sudden decline of her health, the peace wasn't sure to last much longer.

And that made the half-demon desperate.

"Teach me how to make the medicine."

"Not a chance."

Kagami and Ai sat and watched as the Dog and Reaper glared at each other waiting for the other to give in.

"But what's the point?" The fox asked, rather bored of the situation. "Kazuto's handled Kagami's medicine for centuries now so it seems kinda meaningless to get involved now. What's your reasoning, Dog?"

"None of ya business, Furball." He sneered.

With an eye roll of annoyance, Kazuto walked to the door, not planning on staying around the two any longer. "What a waste of time."

"Hey don't walk away from me! We're not done here!" Before he could give chase, all of them stopped what they were doing at the sound of clapping.

"Alright boys settle down," Kagami said as she held onto Inuyasha's kimono. "Kazu, I'm not sure what Inu's motivation is but won't you consider teaching him, just this once? Please?"

Looking into her big doe eyes, the Reaper sighed in defeat, unable to deny her request. "Haah fine, but on one condition: If you can find the main ingredient, I'll teach you without hesitation."

"Hah, fine by me. I'll find it no problem." The half-demon huffed cockily.

"You can't make such a claim when you don't know what it is yet, dumb dog." Ai snickered.

"Say that again, damn freeloader."

Kagami deadpanned while Kazuto rubbed his temples as they watched the two animals growl at each other.

"Enough of your pointless squabble. Listen up, Mutt. In relation to the Goddess of the Sun, you are to find a flower blessed by the Bird of Flames, the Phoenix Flower."