Chapter 14: The man named Kazuto

-The next day-

"Are ye sure you will be okay?" Kaede asked quite worried about my current state of well-being.

"Yes, lady Kaede. I'll make sure to get proper rest once he's awake." I said, giving a reassuring nod.

"Don't push yourself too much. You don't want to fall ill before the others return. I will be back in the evening."

"Of course, thank you for your consideration."

I watched Kaede walk out of the hut to continue with her village duties before turning back to the unconscious man in front of me.

I took the damp rag off of his head and picked up a bucket next to me getting up. I walked out of the hut to refill the bucket with fresh clean water. Haah, I'm exhausted. He's been unconscious since yesterday, I hope the medicine is working well.

I return to hear slight groaning coming from the futon to my right. The man sat up to slowly assess his surroundings before his eyes finally laid on me.

"Good morning, how are you feeling?" I said walking towards him sitting down, placing the bucket next to me. Now that he was awake, I was able to get a good look at his features. He appears to be a young man with short black hair and a cowlick that ends at the tip of his nose. His most notable characteristic was his eyes. They were shaped like crescent moons with a turquoise-yellow color to them.

The man started moving his limbs slowly, seemingly testing how his wounds felt. "Better than before, thank you, priestess."

His eyes are so pretty. "Oh no need to thank me, Lady Kaede was the one who treated your injuries. I more or less just watched over you to make sure you were recovering properly."

"Then I will have to thank her as well when she returns." He said. What is this feeling? It was strange, the aura he gave off was very pleasant and serene.

"If you don't mind me asking, what exactly happened for you to get those injuries?"

He sat there silently, contemplating for a moment before deciding to speak up. "A demon attacked me. I was running for my life and managed to escape but not without getting hurt."

So the same thing happened to him. "Must have been scary huh? I get what you mean. When I first came here, I was chased by this ogre demon. I nearly died if it wasn't for my friends help." I recalled frowning at the experience.

He stared at me as if curious about something. "When you first came here?"

Oops. "Well, I'm not originally from this village. I was traveling on my own for a while before stumbling here over a week ago." I explained hoping he'd buy it. Lying was not my strong suit.

He hummed, giving a cheeky smile as he continued staring at me. Ugh, it feels like he's staring into my soul. "I see, guess we're both alike in that aspect. May I get your name? I would like to remember the person who cared for me." He asked.

I had an inner sigh of relief that he believed me before answering. "Oh um Kagami. And you?"

"Kazuto. Nice to meet you Lady Kagami." He said, giving a small bow.

I held my hands up at him looking away awkwardly. "Just Kagami, please. The formalities are kinda embarrassing."

"Alright, Miss Kagami." He playfully stated.

Did he not-wait a sec? "Are you teasing me?"

"I would never, Kagami," Kazuto stated very obviously, holding in a laugh. Okay, he definitely was.