Chapter 23: Heart to Heart

Dark, cold, and uncomfortable. I awoke on the rough textured ground of the cave floor. I slowly sat up to gather my bearings. As my vision adjusted to the darkness I looked out the entrance of the cavern to see it was already night. I guess I ended up crying myself to sleep...I'm exhausted.

I stared at the full moon with a frown recalling the events that happened earlier in the day. I once again hugged my knees. I know I have to go back at some point, but I don't know if I'm ready to see him. I looked at the now empty box in front of me. "Haku, I really could use a hug right now..." I murmured burying my head into my arms.

-At Kaede's hut-

The place was quiet as everyone sat in a perturbed silence. Kaede was brewing some tea for everyone as Shippo sat beside her still depressed at the absence of the two female friends he has grown attached to. Sango was petting Kirara as she sat by the door peaking outside every now and then praying for Kagami's safe return. Miroku sat next to her as he briefly eyed the half-demon sitting in the corner fidgeting away. Something he always do whenever he was anxious. Miroku decided to give a little push as he broke the silence. "You're really gonna leave her out there all alone?"

Sango frowned as she anxiously stared at the night sky. "What if she gets lost or even hurt?"

"Get off my back will ya! She said she wanted to be alone." Inuyasha grumbled in irritation.

"And whose fault do you think that is?!" Shippo accused in anger.

Inuyasha cracked his knuckles getting fed up with the whining fox. "Listen you!" The two were having a staredown as they growled at each other. Everyone else sighed rather exhausted from the arguing.

"Kagami has been gone for hours and it's already this late," Kaede muttered.

"Then why don't any of you go look for her?!" Inuyasha shouted.

"Because it'll be more efficient with your nose," Miroku explained. He sighed giving up once he knew Inuyasha wasn't going to budge anytime soon. "Haah, how stubborn can you be? Let's go Sango." He said already walking out.

"Alright," Sango said following right behind him.

The pair didn't walk far as Sango stopped in her steps frowning back at the hut they just left. "What should we do, Miroku? It doesn't seem like Inuyasha will budge."

Miroku thought to himself for a moment before a knowing smile appeared on his features. "Oh, he will. Despite his stubbornness, he can't resist how he feels."

Sango focused back on the monk giving him a quizzical look. "What do you mean?"

Miroku knew that Inuyasha wouldn't hold out for long. They knew he had upset Kagami but refused to elaborate on what he had done. However, he has been much antsier since his return. It was only a matter of time before he went searching for the girl to calm his worries. "Let's just observe for now my dear Sango." He said remaining mysterious. Sango gave the monk a skeptical look but decided to trust him to handle the situation.

Shippo stood with Kirara at the door hoping for Miroku's and Sango's success. He turned to Inuyasha, deciding to express his frustrations. "Stupid Inuyasha! What if Kagami doesn't come back?"

"You're the idiot. She's stuck here, remember?" He huffed with folded arms.

"Yeah, but what if she doesn't want to be around us anymore?" Shippo asked already on the verge of tears.

Inuyasha frowned at the idea of Kagami hating him. The pain in his chest grew the longer he thought about it. "Quit complaining already." He muttered with less hostility.