Chapter 40: Naraku, A Dangerous Encounter

3rd person pov

It was the next day as the moon was no longer present in the sky. After being knocked out by the serpent, Aisho awoke groaning at the soreness of his body. The fox sat up as he looked around, noticing that he was no longer near the temple.

His eyes widened when he saw the state of his partner beside him. "Hey Kazuto, you alive?" he asked, nudging him a little. The fox grimaced at the burn injuries on his left arm. "Jeez, you're burnt to a crisp."

When he remained unresponsive Aisho sat on top of his body as he leaned close to his face. "If you don't wake up now I'll kiss you."

On cue, Kazuto slowly opened his eyes to only turn away from the brightness of the sun. "Ugh."

The fox grinned as he kept his position on top of him. "Morning sleepyhead~"

"...Get off." He groaned, pushing the fox off of him. Kazuto sat up with what strength he had left as he examined the unfamiliar area. "Where are we?"

"Dun know. You're lil cloud buddy took us out here." Aisho said, pointing to the small ball of condensed gas resting on the ground. Kazuto noted the absence of his scythe signifying that Luna was back in the spirit realm until he had enough strength to summon her back here.

"I see. So they're gone." he sighed before collapsing to the ground again.  

Aisho pouted at his condition as he started to poke his cheek. "Hey, come on don't die now. Who's supposed to take care of me?"

Kazuto groaned in annoyance as he slapped his hand away. "Take care of yourself, Furball."

"Well, at least you have the strength to talk back," he said with a small chuckle. "So what do we do now? Recover and pursue Kagami again or go back home?"

"Leave her be for now. Though I would like to keep an eye on her."

"To think she would be able to use those flames now," he murmured, staring at his friend's burnt arm. "You worried?"

"A little. I'm not sure her human body is adequate to withstand its power."

"Right even as a half-demon she had trouble controlling them." The fox murmured. The Kagami they knew was strong even for a half-demon. However, with her great strength came unbearable consequences that put her health in jeopardy. After all, being born a half-demon and forced to master the spiritual powers of her mother, it was to be expected.

Kazuto stared somberly at the ground. Being the one to grow up with her he saw head-on the pain and hardships that girl had to go through just to be accepted in the village. He shook his head, temporarily ridding himself of those horrid memories. "We just have to hope that because she's human, the aftereffects of using such powers aren't dire."

"So we're going home?" Ai asked.

He nodded. "We'll recover and then search for this Naraku."

"There will be no need for that." a male voice said. Standing there was a figure clothed in white fur and his most notable feature was the blue baboon mask he used to hide his face.

Aisho raised an eyebrow at the figure as he moved closer to the Reaper's body. "Who invited the monkey?"

Kazuto sat up, with his partner's assistance, and examined the unknown demon before them. What is this? I couldn't sense his presence. "State your business here," he demanded while making a note in his mind. He has no soul.

"No need for the hostility. I want to help you," he said.

"Help? Sorry, we don't take assistance from strangers in goofy-looking costumes." Ai mocked, reaching for his dagger.