Chapter 17: A Welcomed Return

3rd person pov

"We're back, Kaede!" Shippo exclaimed, running into the hut eagerly.

"Welcome back, I'm glad to see you all made it here safely." She said, giving a warm welcome.

Everyone looked around noticing the strange absence of the hyperactive girl that awaited their return. Sango was the first to comment on their friend's disappearance. "That's strange, I thought Kagami would be here too."

Inuyasha stood outside and started to sniff the area. Hmph, there was someone else here. It wasn't here before we left so why does it smell familiar? "Don't tell me that idiot got into trouble somewhere."

"Relax Inuyasha, Kagami is fine. She went out into the fields with someone. However, they have yet to return." Kaede informed.

"They?" Miroku questioned, curious about the unknown guest.

"It was a sweet young lad who was injured a few days ago. Kagami took care of him and they have become close friends." She said. Inuyasha frowned, finding the thought of her spending time with another guy unpleasant, already adding more to his irritation with Kagome.

"Should we go look for her?" Miroku suggested.

Sango nodded in agreement. "I think it would be good just to be sure she's alright."

"Yeah, I really wanna see Kagami again," Shippo said, jumping onto Miroku's shoulder.

"What are we waiting for then?" Inuyasha says as he quickly rushed off before his friends could answer.

Her scent is stronger this way. That other scent is in the same direction as hers. He thought, picking up the pace.

Inuyasha found Kagami sleeping in an open field under a tree. He looked around to find where the other scent belonged to but found no one in the area. He looks once again to see if he was alone this time and moves closer to the sleeping girl.

Look at her sleeping without a care in the world. Doesn't she realize how vulnerable she is right now? And that other scent is still fresh. Where did he go now? He moves to kneel in front of her debating what to do. I'll wake her up and give her an earful for being so careless.

As Inuyasha moved to wake the girl up, he heard a whisper of his name unconsciously drawn from her lips.

Did she hear me? Inuyasha takes a brief moment to stop and stare at the sleeping girl next to him. Without thinking, he moves to gently pick Kagami up and place her in his lap.

There don't seem to be any injuries, so that's good. He moves to place a hand on top of her head, rubbing it softly. The strong scent of flowers filled his nostrils. He noticed a single lily lose in the palm of her hand. Guess she was playing in the flowers. Before he could continue his observations, Kagami stirs from her slumber. He stops moving, afraid to be caught doing something that could embarrass him later.

Kagami opened her eyes and took in her surroundings. What am I doing out here? Kagami shifted a bit to lean into what she was on and closed her eyes again. I feel warm. "H-hey don't go back to sleep again, careless woman!"

That voice sounds familiar. The girl in a daze looks up to see the person she's been waiting for. "Inu...yasha? Is that really you?"

"Who else would it be?"

The two stared at each other in silence before Kagami tackled him in an embrace. I didn't think I would miss Inuyasha as much as I did. Getting to hold him like this. I'm so happy to see him again.

"Welcome back," Kagami murmured secretly enjoying the warm embrace.

Inuyasha gives a quiet 'thanks' as he let himself relax in her arms. The two held each in a loose embrace before hearing footsteps and a cough nearby.