Chapter 31: Conflict

(A/n: Okay first off I'm so sorry for taking so long to update. I caught my mom's flu and just couldn't function for a couple of weeks. In this chapter specifically I realized I'm horrible at fight scenes so I struggled a lot with putting it together and making it make sense ^^;  Thank you all for waiting patiently and I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and New Years! 🎊 Anyway enjoy guys!)

3rd person pov

Kagome climbed out of the well with a white bag in tow, placing it on the ground next to three others. "And that's the last one."

"Are you sure you need all this stuff? Feels like the baggage grows every time you return." Inuyasha said while deadpanning at the numerous bags.

Kagome sat on the well as she sighed in exhaustion. She took her yellow backpack off and started stretching her limbs. "It can't be helped. I have to pack all my stuff and make sure Kagami gets what she needs as well."

He was about to make a retort until his nose caught a whiff of something. Kagome was about to question his sudden silence until she noticed clouds of smoke in the village's direction. "Hey, is that smoke coming from the village?"

Inuyasha frowned, not liking the bad feeling he had in his stomach. "Let's go." He didn't wait for Kagome to respond before he placed her on his back and sprinted to the village.

"Hey what about the bags?!"

"Quit whining, we'll get them later." He said. A memory flashed through his thoughts as he recalled his parting with Kagami earlier. You better be there.

It didn't take long for the two to reach the village before they saw a familiar face sitting on the ground by the entrance.

"Shippo!" Kagome called out. Inuyasha stopped, letting her off as she ran to the small fox.

Shippo got up from his spot on the ground as his tears started welling up again. "Kagome, Inuyasha you're back!" He cried jumping into Kagome's arms. "It's terrible!"

The pair started looking around, examining the damage to the village. A few houses were destroyed but it seems like some of the villagers woke up, helping out the wounded. "What the hell happened here?" Inuyasha asked.

Shippo was a blubbering messing as he looked at the two with tear-stained eyes. "D-demons appeared and attacked the village."

"Demons?" Kagome's eyes widen as she saw a familiar red-beaded necklace hanging around Shippo's neck. "Wait why do you have Kagami's necklace?"

At the girl's name being mentioned Inuyasha started sniffing the air. His heart rate increased as he slowly became restless. "Where is she?"

"A demon took her!" Shippo cried out as he continued sobbing into Kagome. He was still blaming himself for letting her go.

"What?!" Rage. Guilt. Regret. Fear. Many emotions were going through his mind at the thought of her being kidnapped and from the scent, in the air, he knew all too well who did it.

"Are you guys alright?" Sango called out from above. Kirara landed on the ground as the two got off to regroup.

"Where were you guys?" Kagome asked.

"Demons appeared so we left to take care of the ones coming to the village. We managed to handle most of them however the few leftover suddenly retreated." Miroku reported.

Sango looked around as she noticed someone missing. "Huh? Where's Kagami?"

"She was taken by Kazuto," Kaede said struggling to walk on her own. One of the village men quickly came to her aid, helping her stay upright.