Chapter 9: No Way Home

3rd person pov

The hut was peaceful throughout the morning. Yesterday, Kagome came back with her bag full of supplies for when they leave to find jewel shards once more. Everyone was enjoying the quiet atmosphere, eating the well-made breakfast Kaede prepared for them. However, there was an uneasy tension throughout the meal as someone was missing.

"Does anyone know where Inuyasha may be?" Miroku asked, breaking the silence.

"No idea. He was here yesterday when he came back with Kagome." Sango said, petting Kirara.

Miroku turned to Kagome. "Have you seen him today at all, Kagome?"

"No, I haven't since yesterday." Kagome looked down at her lap deep in thought.

"He's been going off on his own a lot more recently. I wonder if he's okay." Sango said with a worried expression.

Shippo was enjoying a lollipop Kagome brought from her era. "When I woke up, I caught a glimpse of him coming out of the room Kagami was in." He stated. Kagome's eyes widened at the new information. He was with her? She started to have conflicting thoughts about Inuyasha, wondering what he's been up to and why would he be in her friend's room?

"But what I don't get is why would he be in her room? Kagami is still unconscious right now, so it's not like he can talk to her." Shippo continued before going back to enjoying his candy.

"Maybe he feels guilty about her wounds. He did say he regretted not saving her sooner to prevent them." Sango said, recalling what Inuyasha said days prior. Miroku hummed, placing a hand on his chin in thought. "That's possible, but there could be more to this than meets the eye." He said as he continued thinking about Inuyasha's strange behavior lately.

"What do you mean, Miroku?" Sango asked curiously.

As the monk was about to state his reasoning, Inuyasha comes back into the hut. His face contorted into one of confusion as he looked down at his friends staring at him.

"What? Why are all of you staring at me?" Inuyasha pointed out, everyone's heads immediately turned away from him.

Sango was the first to ask the question that has been lingering in everyone's minds. "You have been gone all morning, where did you go?" Sango asked.  

"Am I not allowed to have alone time? It's none of ya business what I do." He huffed, obviously refusing to answer.

Sango frowned. "Must you be so rude about it?"

Miroku sighed knowing getting any answers from him was pointless. "Anyway, to continue, we should figure out what to do when Kagami wakes up."

"Oh right, when she wakes up she'll be so confused about what's going on. What should we do?" Shippo asked.

Inuyasha sat down, intervening into the conversation. "What we should do with her doesn't matter. She's going back home the moment she recovers." Everyone stares at Inuyasha's comment. Sure for the safety of the girl, she would have to go home at some point, but to outright say it. Miroku gave Inuyasha a look of suspicion. "Inuyasha I can't help but think there's a reason why you want her gone so soon."

"What do you want to do Miroku, take her with us where she can get hurt again? She obviously can't fight." He remarked, looking at the monk with annoyance.

"We're all capable of protecting ourselves. Maybe one of us can teach her how to defend herself?" Sango suggested.

"Don't be stupid Sango, we don't have the time of day to train that girl and you know it! We can't babysit her while searching for Naraku!" Inuyasha retorted back.