Chapter 1: Emptiness of the Heart

A young lady walked around the park, glancing once in a while at the little children playing together at the playground. She turned her head to look at couples either resting on the benches, arms wrapped around each other or those who were walking leisurely through the park, their hands clasped together as they talked with smiles on their faces and love in their eyes.

Sakura sighed and sat herself on one of the empty benches and continued to look around the park, admiring everything she was seeing.

'They all look so happy' she thought grimly, knowing that she would never have her chance of happiness like that.

A tear involuntarily slipped down her cheek as she thought about this. She was already 18 years old and never has she ever experienced anything as great as feeling someone truly love you. Sure, she had her mother, father and brother who truly loved her but she knew they didn't count as they were family and since because they aren't with her anymore since that incident 2 years ago. Then she had the love from her friends. They were even more like sisters to Sakura but she still felt empty inside, like there is something huge missing inside of her.

She looked up at the clear blue sky and closed her eyes as another tear slid down from her eyes.

"Sakura?" a familiar cheery voice asked her from behind.

She abruptly opened her eyes and hurriedly wiped her face to avoid any traces that she was crying. She turned and looked at her very best friend, whom she treated like she was her very own sister.

"Tomoyo? What are you doing here?" Sakura questioned the girl in front of her who was carrying a lot of bags through her arms and in her hands. "What's with the stuff?"

"I was out shopping for you birthday bash tomorrow" she stated with a grin on her beautiful face. "It's gonna be the greatest! I can see it now: 'Sakura's 18th Birthday', you will really look lovely in the gown I had sewn for you" she added with a dreamy look on her face with stars in her eyes.

Sakura sweat dropped at her weird friend as she remembered her a month ago when she was already planning for her birthday. Ok, she wasn't 18…yet. Her birthday was tomorrow, that's as good as 18, isn't it? At least she thinks it is.

"Sakura?" Tomoyo questioned, waving her hand in front of her face. "Are you okay?" she asked as Sakura blinked a few times and looked at her.

She nodded at her best friend in assurance as a worried look still showed on her face.

"I'm fine Tomoyo, just a bit tired I guess" she wasn't entirely lying. She really was tired but it wasn't the main reason why she spaced out…again.

Tomoyo followed behind her best friend as she tried to put on a happy face for her sake, but deep down inside, she knew Sakura was far from happy. Both of them had been friends since they were 9 years old until now that Sakura was turning 18 and she's already 18 years old herself. She clearly saw that Sakura was getting less cheerful as the years came by. She didn't know why but she knew she was because her once excitement-filled emerald eyes were slowly turning into a dull shade of green. The incident with her family greatly affected her but she knew it wasn't the only reason of her mood still dropping because it started even before the incident happened.

"Tomoyo?" Sakura who had stopped, asked from in front of her.

"Hai!" she quickly said, snapping away from her thoughts as she ran towards her.