Chapter 40: Pain with Recovery

"Eh? Who's that?" the nurse said getting the attention of her companions.

Dr. Aisaka and the other nurse looked at the small TV screen situated at the corner of the ICU nurses' station. The screen held an image in black and white where a woman wearing a casual, floral Sunday dress and a large sunhat stood waiting in front of the ICU entrance doors.

"Must be one Mr. Li's family or friends again," replied one the other nurse, slightly exasperated. "These guys have been having different guests since the day they arrived," she said, pointing to the row of rooms where Syaoran and Sakura, Eriol, Mika, Rika, Aki and Chiharu were in.

A sudden beeping then sounded through one of the rooms.

"That must be from Mr. Kobayashi again," Dr. Aisaka said with a little frustration, looking towards Aki's room. "He's been so restless ever since he woke up."

The two nurses giggled at him.

"By the way, where are the other doctors and nurses stationed in here?" he said, taking a stethoscope that hung on a hook by the station.

"There seems to be an emergency down in the regular ICU, they say they'll be back as soon as they can."

"They better, if anything sudden happens to these patients, I can't very well take care of everything by myself," he muttered before heading towards Aki's room.

"Wha- Hey! What do we do about the lady outside?" one of the nurses called out to his retreating form.

The doctor shrugged without turning back. "You know the drill, just let her out after her time's over. We can't really do anything to stop the patients' visitors from coming in," he called back. "Unfortunately," he added to himself, thinking of all the sorts of people that have been in the ICU for the past three days just to visit the group of patients they had now. All of the staff assigned inside the ICU have been wary of the visitors that have been coming in, mainly because most of them looked to be dangerous with their dark clothing and fierce appearances. And the conditions the patients had right now, like their multiple gunshot wounds only made them even more cautious.

*****

"I can't believe you talked me into this," Ren hissed, glaring at Mei Lin who was beside him, trying to keep up with him whilst walking with a crutch by her wounded leg and pulling along the rolling IV stand that held the fluids connected to her and Naoko.

Mei Lin grinned at him before turning to the girl behind her. "You catching up well enough Naoko?"

Naoko grinned back at her with a nod as she easily kept up with the group even if she had two crutches. "You kidding? I can go faster with these things than I can with my own two feet!" she replied with a laugh before turning to the giggling Tomoyo whose wheelchair was being pushed along by Ren who had unfortunately been forced into accompanying them to the ICU when he came by to visit along with Mike.

Mike, Jay and Takashi all intended to go follow them of course, but not until the girls and Ren got in first. They knew well enough the ICU wouldn't let all of them in at the same time.

"And pray tell, how do you intend to get in there?" he asked, smirking at the three girls as the glass doors to the ICU came to view.

The three girls didn't answer at this. They hadn't really thought about it, they were just hoping for luck.

"We'll see," Mei Li replied with an unconcerned face.