Chapter 3

Little shop. Little shop. Little restaurant. Little bank. Little everything. So many little kids... scary.

"Body!" A shout from down the sidewalk startles me seconds before a kid bumps into me.

"Sorry." Cute kid.

"No problem." The kid continues running.

"Sorry about him." A boy steps in front of me.

Damn, he's cute. Nothing crazy. No Chris Evans... but still... something. I can't quite pin it down.

"Oh. No big deal."

He's probably about my age. Roughly four or five inches shorter than me. Messy short brown hair. And those eyes... that perfect shade of blue.

"Are you new in town?"

"Wow. Do you ask everyone that you meet that? Kinda rude."

"Oh no! It's just that this town is small and..."

"It's fine. I was joking." I chuckle at the fear of triggering me. "And yes. I'm new."

"Are you going to Matheson Academy?"

"Sadly."

"It's actually pretty nice. Lots of nice kids and good teachers."

"Do you work for them?" He laughs at that, cute laugh.

"No. I just know what it's like to be new here." I can see where this is going. "I was new last year."

"Wow. And...?"

"Oh. Well... nice meeting you." Ugh, I went too far.

"Wait..." I hate apologizing, but for some reason, I feel the need to. "I'm sorry for that. I really... I'm not normally this rude. Just having a rough day."

"It's fine. I get it. I get those too."

"For some reason, I doubt you're ever rude."

"What?"

"You just have that look."

"What look?"

"That you were in the boy scouts. You never tell a lie. You help old ladies across the street. Stuff like that."

"Oh?"

"Don't get me wrong. Not in a bad way or anything. It's rare to find someone like that these days."

"Someone like that? I'm starting to get the feeling that you think you know who I am just after knowing me for two minutes."

"You're a good person. Trust me, I can tell. I've always been a good judge of people."

"Tyler!" That kid is down at the ice cream shop.

"That's me." He looks like a Tyler, in a good way.

"Here." I hand him my unlocked phone and he just looks at me. "Put your number in." He does so without a word. Then I text him. "Now you have my number."

"But not your name."

"Eliot."

"Nice to meet you."

"The nicest." Did I really just say that?

"I guess I'll see you at school on Monday."

"Can't wait." I watch him walk off.

Nice ass.