Chapter 52

Flashes. Flashes of images appear in front of me. Three hooded figures in the dark. A body. Symbols carved into the body. Blood pooling on the floor. Whispers. Crackle. Pop.

"Ahh!" I scream as my body jolts up.

The man is ten or so feet away, but no longer looks like much of a man. He turns around as he hears me. He looks pissed. I look down, the hole in my chest smaller, but still bleeding. But I have no time to think about it. I grab the Matchstick key and barely make it to my feet. It screams as it begins charging at me. At this moment I know exactly what I have to do. I think I always did. I just didn't want to admit it.

I wait until he's close. He swings his claws at me. I duck down and roll to the side. With the strength of the Hercules Key, I shove the Matchstick key directly into his gut. It begins shouting. A screech that hurts my brain. I can feel blood dripping down my ears. I stand up and grab it by the head. I look it right in the eyes.

"Show me your real face!" I headbutt him, sending him to the ground. "Kinsey!" I shout and look over at her, she looks scared. "Now!"

Kinsey runs over and throws me the head key. I look back over at him and see his skin begin to shed. His skin rips off, peeling. Its skin is grey, tough, almost like stone. Just the sight of it begins terrifying me. My heart races. My body shakes. But I hold onto the Head Key with vigor. I look over and see Kinsey. She nods. I then look behind her and see Tyler, now awake and running over with his mom.

I put the key in my neck and turn it. The door appears. I see myself. I see Shlukos. Then I see Tyler. He makes me smile. But I can see his face. He knows what I'm doing. My red door swings open.

"Eliot! No!" Tyler runs towards me, but Kinsey stops him.

Kinsey tries talking him down, but I can't quite hear her over the screech from Shlukos. I feel tears rolling down my face as I look and smile at Tyler. I remember the taste of his lips. I remember the feeling of my fingers in his hair. The way he giggled when I tickled him. I laugh at the thought of him jumping into my arms when he's scared.

"I love you." I don't know if he can hear me, but I do see him begin to cry.

I then look at Shlukos. I prick my palm with my rings, the tiniest of blood trickling out. Then I put all my thoughts on one thing.

Crackle. Pop.

Shlukos' body, completely against its will, flies through the red door. The door slams shut. The Head Key flies out of my neck.

"Ahhh!" I scream at the top of my lungs as everything in my body begins attacking itself, fighting as hard as it can against Shlukos.