Chapter 7

"Why?"

"Huh?"

"Why do you need me to grab this key from your hand?"

"Oh... I... uh..." I've never seen someone look so caught off guard.

"And why is it called the Anywhere Key?" His eyes open wide. "You and Kinsey are the worst whisperers I have ever seen."

"Well... um..."

"Just tell me the truth."

"It's... it's just a game..."

"No. Don't lie."

"I'm not."

"You are."

"It's just..."

"Just what? I know we've only just met, but I don't do lies."

"I'm not lying." He's definitely lying.

"Yeah." I stand up, grab the key from his hand. "Ow." It shocks me a little. "You happy?" I hand it back to him. "Tell your mom I'm sorry for leaving early." I begin walking to the door.

"Wait." I turn and see Tyler stand up, looking concerned, but saying nothing else.

That's what I thought.

I walk out of his room and down the stairs.

"Hey!" That same little boy from before is now standing in front of me, smiling.

"Hey."

"I'm Bode."

"I'm Eliot."

"Are you Tyler's friend?"

"No."

"Oh. Okay."

"Enjoy the tacos."

I walk past him and out the door. I quickly find myself realizing I don't know how to get home from here, and that it's definitely not a short walk. But I walk anyway. I put my headphones in. I pull up Google Maps. Then I continue walking.

As I walk I can feel the anger in me. It's been stoked. The constant small flame of anger that always lives in me is now growing. If there's one thing that gets me angry, it's lies. I really hate them!

God, I want to punch something. I wanna break something. Shatter it into pieces. I want to destroy things...

I take a few deep breaths. I smell the fresh autumn air. As the sun goes down, the air gets colder. It freshens my skin. It gives me this little surge of energy. I take a second and stop.

I turn my head and see Tyler in his car. The passenger window is down. I look at him, say nothing, and keep my headphones in. His lips start moving, but I hear nothing. Then he motions to take my headphones out. I debate it for a second, then take one out.

"Let me give you a ride." God, why is he so cute? "Please."

"I'm good." I start walking.

"Eliot."

"Tyler." I keep walking.

"It's at least a two-hour walk and the sun is going down."

"And?"

"And there are animals in these woods."

"Good."

"Why are you so stubborn!" He stops the car, shouting.

Really? He's hot when he's stern.

"You can drive me, but no talking."

"Deal."

I get in the car. I keep one headphone in while Tyler begins to drive.

"Eli..."

"No."

"But..."

"No." This time he listens.

We make it to the little shack that's my new "home".

"Can you just let me explain?" He blurts out as I open the car door.

"Will you tell me the truth?" He doesn't respond right away, taking a moment to have to think about it. "Please don't try and talk to me unless you're willing to tell me the truth." He says nothing as I get out and close the car door. "Yeah."