Chapter 27

"Are you okay?" Tyler catches up to me as I walk fast through the halls.

"I just need a moment." I walk faster, leaving Tyler and Kinsey behind.

I walk and I walk. I turn from hall to hall. My heart is racing faster with each step. Everything begins to look the same. I don't remember the hotel being this confusing. It seems to change directions. It seems the rooms are moving.

"Fuck." I stop as I see Room 237.

The door is closed, but coming from the bottom of the door is a darkness that's so dark it hurts to look at. It seeps out like blood. I walk up to it, feeling the sudden calm. I've never felt such nothingness before. It feels oddly scarey and freeing. I stick my hand out and grab hold of the doorknob. It's warm. I move my other hand to the door, feeling the grain of the wood and the warmth radiating from it.

"Eliot?" I can hear Tyler and Kinsey turn the corner from down the hall. "Are you okay?"

"I... I need to..." My brain is in a fog and the only thing it can focus on is turning the doorknob.

So I do. I turn the knob, the door cracking open just a little.

"What's going on?" Kinsey says, not prepared for what's about to happen.

The door swings open. The lights go out. The walls and floor begin to shake.

"Run!" I shout and start running towards Tyler and Kinsey, but by then it's too late.

Quickly it's too dark to see Tyler or Kinsey.

"Tyler!" I shout, but the sound doesn't seem to go far. "Kinsey! Tyler!" Just then it's two hands wrap around my neck and pull me back with a yank that could've ripped my head off.

Just as I'm prepared to hit the ground, my body flies out of the main red door and into the Key House kitchen.

"What?" I'm panicking as the door closes.

I look back and Duncan is at my body.

"It started happening a few seconds ago." I look at the black blood coming from my eyes. "Where are Tyler and Kinsey?" I look back at the door. "What's going on?" He's screaming.

"I need to go back in."

"I'll go with you."

"No!" I turn to him. "Stay here. Make sure the key stays in my neck and the door stays open." I stand back up and walk over to the table. "I need you to tell me which key does what."