Chapter 9

"Are you sure you don't wanna take the day off?"

"No. I'm good." I walk to the front door.

"Just take it easy, okay?"

"I will." I walk out, the outside air suddenly feeling thicker.

When I get to school everything feels off. I walk through the school, but I'm not really there. I'm in the deep dark abyss that is my mind.

Maybe I did that to myself?

I look at my hands, still no sign of blood.

But... maybe... no, that doesn't make sense. But then...

"Hey!" I bump into one of those jocks I saw with Tyler yesterday.

I say nothing and start walking again.

"Are you kidding me?" He speaks again and I turn to see a neanderthal look on his face.

"What am I kidding about?" I think his name is Brinker. Weird name.

"When you bump into someone you say you're sorry."

"Really? Is that what I should be doing?" God, my head is hurting.

"Yeah. Exactly." He steps up closer to me.

"Wow, this is stupid." Oh... meant to think that.

"Are you calling me stupid?"

"Did I?" The ringing in my head intensifies.

"Do you really think I'm that stupid?" I can see people starting to gather around, watching.

"Well kinda, yeah." Then he shoves me. "You've got to be kidding me." Now I'm angry.

"No. I'm not kidding."

"Do you wanna end up in the hospital?" I step up close to him, my blood starting to boil.

"You wish." He's shorter but not by much.

"It's not a wish. It's a promise."

"Hey." Tyler walks up to us and quickly everyone else begins to pretend like they weren't waiting for a fight. "What's goin' on guys?"

"I was just about to punch this punk." Brinker is acting like he's tough.

"And I was ready to bring him to the brink of death and then letting you suffer for years before eventually dying a slow and painful death." A sudden fear appears in his eyes, mine ready to shoot lasers through that tiny brain of his.

"Why don't you head to class." Tyler looks to Brinker.

"Fine." I can see the anger in him and it makes me happy.

"When you're ready to beat around like a little baby I'm always ready." Brinker turns around, but Tyler gives him a look that makes him turn and walk away. "What a pussy." I laugh as he walks away and everyone else turns to each other to whisper. "What?" I shout at them.

"Eliot." Tyler is quiet.

"What? Do these losers now think I'm crazy? That I could lose it at any moment? Snap?"

"Eliot." Tyler looks me in the eyes.

"What?" I shout right in his face.

The ringing in my head goes away and my body relaxes. I look around quickly, everyone pretending they aren't looking.

"Fine."

I push past Tyler and walk away.

Lunch comes around and I decide to avoid the rest of the school. I go to the auditorium. I sit on the edge of the stage. I eat my bologna sandwich.

Gross, but at least Abby tries.

"I heard about the almost fight." It's Kinsey, she's walking down between the sits.

"It wasn't one of my greatest moments, but far from one of my worse."

"You should hear the different versions that are spreading around the school." She walks up the stage stairs and over to me.

"I'm intrigued. Any interesting ones?"

"Most are the basic fight stuff you normally hear about, but..." She sits down next to me. "There was one that said you had a hunting knife and had it to his balls."

"Oh... interesting idea. I'll keep that in mind for my next encounter with Brinker." We both laugh.

"Brinker's a dick. Most of the hockey guys are."

"Including Tyler?"

"Oh, no. Not at all. I'm amazed he's still on the team with how much shit they've given him." Interesting. "You know... Tyler is a good friend."

"You talked to him?"

"Yeah."

"So you know he's lying?" She looks down. "And obviously you're a part of this lie."

"Yeah." She doesn't want to make eye contact.

"And you're not gonna tell me this big scary secret are you?"

"No. And I wish you could just move past what you heard. I can tell Tyler likes your friendship."

"And to be honest, I liked him too."

"Past tense?"

"I don't do lies." She doesn't know how to respond. "I don't know how much Tyler has told you about my life, and god knows he only knows the tiniest amount, but I've been through some shit. I've been lied to a lot. And I've learned to cut that ripcord as soon as possible. Saves everyone a lot of future pain."

"Wow..." She looks at me. "That sounds sad... and lonely."

"That's a matter of opinion."

Kinsey turns to me, smiling.

"Would you like to come to our family game night Friday night?"

"What?" I'm truly thrown off.

"Every once and a while we have a game night. Me, Tyler, Bode, our mom, our uncle, and his husband. We play a few games, have tons of takeout, and stay up as late as we can."

"Sounds weirdly... normal."

"I don't know if I'd call it that. Bode always gets a sugar high and acts like a psycho. Tyler and our uncle get super competitive. And at some point, we always end up doing some truly horrifying karaoke."

"That does sound horrifying."

"So does that mean you'll come?"

"I'll think about it." Kinsey laughs a little as she stands up.

"I'll take that as a yes."

"I'll think about it." She laughs a little more.

"So do you have any allergies I should know about? Any dietary restrictions?"

"I'll think about it." She starts walking away.

"Be there around six or so."

"I'll think about it." I can't hold back my smile anymore.

"See you there." She walks out of the auditorium.

I guess I'm going to game night.