Prolouge

**** Shivaay ran the family business together with Tej. His family was connected to the notorious mafia that used the construction moguls to launder their money. In return for the favours they did, Oberoi's had been able to establish themselves as one of the most powerful families over the years. However times were changing, their past deeds were coming back to bite them back in their asses. At the Mahaarti an unknown man self immolates, bringing more attention to the Oberoi's business activities.

He couldn't fathom the thought that the family name he was so proud of will be dragged in mud. They were vicariously responsible for the misery of many young lives like OM who was an addict. All his life he's tried to protect OM and Rudy from all of this. After all the scrutiny thanks to the incident at the temple, he was worried that he might not be able to anymore. Many times he had reasoned with Tej to break away, and stop illegal operations, they had the power and connections to do so. But Tej also had a point. They were in bed with the devil for so long, if they try to walk away now, there will be consequences.

Shivaay was thrown into the deep end many times by Tej, growing up as his prodigy. Tej had hope that Shivaay had what it takes to lead the empire unlike his sons. Shivaay tried his best to be who his Bade papa wanted him to be. He was not going to disappoint him or the family. Tej & Jaanvi were more than parents to him. They raised him, after his parents death, which was a controversy he had to grow up with. He only remember waking up aome day in bed in a pool of blood as a 6 year old. They said that his father shot his mother and killed himself because she was having an affair. But the police could never find out the real truth. Shivaay didn't bother to either, he had enough hatred in him at both his parents. They were both selfish assholes, to leave him alone in this world. He was not going to cry about it.

If not for Jaanvis love and OmRu's innocence surrounding him, he would have ended up becoming a monster. Sometimes his rage overpowered his common sense, he knew at those times, he was a dangerous man, who was capable of anything. Daadi their matriarch was oblivious to all of this, she loved her grandsons, and she hoped they'll make the Oberoi name shine. She always wanted to do better in the world. She advised her grandsons to be generous, loving and kind too. Shivaay hoped one day he can use all this power and wealth to turn things around. But he didn't know how. For him his family came first, their safety was above anything else.

Meanwhile taking up on Tejs advise, Shivaay had entered a contract marriage with Tia, whose the daughter of another construction mogul the infamous Kapoors, to strengthen the legibility of the Oberoi empire. They had been good friends since college, and Tia agreed as a favour, though she has her boyfriend Robin in London. To keep his piece of mind, they had signed a contract detailing what they can do and cannot do for the duration of their marriage. In the face of the world they were husband and wife, and the "IT" couple in town.

*****Annika Harshwardhan Trivedi, was a woman on a mission. She only had a father growing up, and he was snatched away from her . She remember walking in from school when she was just turning 15 and finding out that he's no more. Her father was a careful man, he was an accountant to the Oberoi's who was meticulous, and honest. His death was so sudden, and the police had brushed off the investigations quickly saying it was a suicide, as the case was bringing negative publicity to the Oberoi's. Her father loved her, he was not going to leave her just like that, she was sure! She remember, how some employee from the Oberoi's office, came up to her, at the funeral and handed her a bundle of money with a note saying our deepest condolences, and walked away without a word. She just threw that money into the funeral pier. Even though she was 14 she had something called self respect. She was not going to accept charity from anyone. Her only living relative, her aunt took the opportunity, to move in with her, in the hope of snatching their small house. "If not for me you'll be rotting in an orphan age!" she taunted Annika, every opportunity she got. The only peace of mind she had was her small cousin brother, who was a toddler at the time. They had an instant connection, and he would hold her hand, curl up to her every night when she was having nightmares. She was thankful to god for at least giving her Saahil, to help her get through the tough times. One day when she went through her fathers things, she found a ledger, and a voice recorder that was wrapped in a news paper article that read "Oberoi's the most profitable construction company of the year!". As she flipped through the pages, she saw her father had highlighted some of the transactions. He's written notes in his neat handwriting, where is this debited to? Who is the creditor? She then played the recording. It was a conversation, more like an argument, and one voice belonged to her father, and the other to a man she couldn't quite recognise.

I told you to do your job! You are an accountant not a bloody investigator!

I ..just want to let you know that this is wrong...I cannot be a part of this. I have a daughter to raise! I am not going to be part of anything that she'll have to be ashamed of! This is wrong!

So whose stopping you Trivedi? You can leave whenever you want. But I am warning you for the last time you let one word of this out, you'll regret for your life! And that pretty little daughter of yours will grow up as an orphan!

The recorder stopped. Annika was shaking, listening to the conversation. That's exactly what happened. Someone had threatened her father. She didn't know what to do with all this. She knew better than to go to the police. Who was going to listen to a teenager who just lost her father against the Oberoi's. She held the recorder in a tight fist, and made a vow.

"Papa...I promise you! I'll find out who did this to you! I promise you...I will make them suffer for taking you away from me! I love you papa!"

From that day onwards it became her life's mission to bring justice to her father. She played the recording every night, memorising the voice of the man on the other end so the day she meets him, she'll make sure he pays for all he did.

She was finally getting a chance after 10 long years,to get more evidence. She had met ACP Bhavya in college, and they became dear friends. She had shared her fathers story with her long ago, and Bhavya had promised Annika that when she is in a position to investigate one day she will. Today was that day. Bhavya had been tracking the Oberoi movements with the Mafia for sometime now and she needed someone to do the ground work for her. They had so much security, power and connections it was not an easy task for her to go under cover into to their mansion. When she found out that the newest "O Bahu" Tia Kapoor was looking for an assistant, she couldn't think of anyone better than Annika to fill in the shoes.

"Annika this is our chance to get close to them! If you get inside their house, and find solid proof, we can bring them down together!"

Annika agreed knowing that this was that chance, that moment she was waiting for. She was finally going to find her fathers killer.

"Don't worry Bhavya, I'll make sure I get that job!"

"I am sure you will! She's interviewing people over the phone first, so give this number a call!"
She keyed in a number on her mobile phone.

————————————————————-/-//———-
Annika took a deep breath, and dialled the number Bhavya gave.

"Hello Mrs.Kapoor! This is Annika...." Tia cut the line on her she thought. Never mind she was going to try again. "Hello...Ms..." before she could say a word the other party again hung up on her. She could feel her blood boiling, and her anger was not something she was capable of keeping down! She dialed the number again and this time an arrogant, irritating, but a handsome voice responded,

" Hello!.."

Before whoever it was could hang up she started yelling from the other side, " Hello!! Don't you have any manners? Why do you keep hanging up on me? I am trying to get through to Mrs.Tia Kapoor, and who are you answering her phone? Are you her secretary? Wait till I complain about you to her! You are unprofessional and annoying and doesn't know how to answer the phone, what kind of a secretary are you? That's why men are imbeciles!"

"Imbecile? Did you just call me an imbecile? Do you know who are you speaking to?" She could sense the arrogance spitting out through gritted teeth!

"Huh..look at this attitude? Hey Mister you keep your thadi to yourself! do you know who you are speaking to?" She shouted again.

"Whoever you are I don't care! You learn how to talk to people first! YOU ARE MAD! YOU ARE TOTALLY MAD!"he bellowed.

"If you don't want to talk to people then why did you advertise this number? What an IDIOT!" Annika yelled.

"Did you just call me an idiot? Who...who the heck gave you this number? WHAT'S THIS NONSENSE! APOLOGISE NOW!" And this time Annika hung up.

"What an asshole!" She huffed and she decided to call Bhavya again, maybe she gave me a wrong number.