01. Merill

With my earphone plugged in my ears and with a song playing, my day will be particularly good. Even if all I do all day was sketching. It's a little exhausting if you'll just sit here with a pencil in your hand, it might be boring, but I love my career because this is my passion. You can draw when you're happy, angry, mad or even sad.
      I love my work and I'm very thankful that my sister chose me to be her designer. I am lucky to be in this fashion house.
      My office is not that interesting. Numerous dresses that I designed are on the background in display, a huge window facing the street that gave me enough light during day time and, of course, it's messy. It's quite quiet, since I'm alone, unless you'll knock on my wooden door. I will just respond, "Come in," and you will see me here sitting on my chair and designing something.
      My door swung open. A fine lady standing outside and peeping on my door appeared with a gentle smile on her face, Elisha, my elder sister, came inside looking so beautiful.
      "Hey," she said whispering, "someone is outside looking for you," she added her voice very soft and gentle.
      I looked at her with such interest. "Who is it?" I asked, setting aside my work.
      She gave me one last smile and went back to the door slightly opening it while inviting someone to come in.
      I stayed in my heel waiting for that someone to come in, hiding my excitement that we will have another costumer, another happy costumer, hopefully. I'll be glad to make another design for another stranger.
      A girl of my age wearing high-heels, glimmering dress that has diamonds on it, accessories all over her body, thick make-up, an expensive sun-glasses and a wide evil grin went inside bringing her bag.
      My sister went out of the room as soon as the visitor was inside.
       I first thought it was a human standing in front me, but then I was wrong. Standing in front of me was the girl who ruined my life and still ruining it, a hideous animal named Annika Lewis. She just stole my boyfriend a few years ago. I haven't heard about them for a long time, because I'm not interested anymore, but then here she is, hunting me from my past.
      "Long time no see," she extended her arms, which I didn't accept of course, with an evil grin plastered on her face.
      "What do you want?" I snapped, annoyed.
      In a very irritating manner, she sat on a chair in front of my table taking off her sunglasses. "Just a perfect and extravagant gown," she told me and started explaining the details of the gown that she wants.
      Thinking that this was just business, I grabbed my notebook from the drawer and started scribbling the things that she's blabbering. Perfect and extravagant gown, I wrote it down, it was like copying notes from her dirty mouth.
      "How can I make a perfect gown if I'm not perfect?" I murmured with a mix of complaint, fortunately, she didn't hear me, good news. So, I went on. "What for is this gown?"
      She chuckled before answering my question, "just an engagement gown." I watch her lips move, that terrifying feeling stroked me.
      I looked at her in surprise, and I surprised her too, as if that we do not believe at each other's statements and actions.
      I repeated her statement, but this time it's more of a question, "Just an engagement gown?" I wonder whom she was engaged to.
      That question maybe cheered her up that she laughed more, a very tensional laugh. "I'm sorry, I forgot to tell you about it," she smirked. Honestly, she doesn't look good with that smirk.
      Her statement perplexed me more, so I asked again, "Tell me what?"
      Her eyelashes blinked several times like she's daydreaming. She finally faced me with a happy smile on her shitty face, "actually, Harry's my fiancé now. He confessed his internal love to me last month."
      The way she mentioned Harry's name made me nervous. He was mine. The internal love she's talking about was mine. Harry promised me that I'm the only girl that he'll love, but then he broke that promised. That internal love from him was for me, but it was stolen by a flirt. I fell from that lie, I was so stupid. Very stupid.
      "Hey!" I'm thinking too much that I almost forgot that I'm with this hooker. "Are you paying attention to me?" with no due respect, she waved her hand in front of my face, that made me hate her more.
      "Well, congratulations," I said through gritted teeth. "Back to the gown, please," I forced a smile, to hide some hatred, but the thought of Harry marrying a different woman killed me.
      She smiled again, looking glad to talk about her gown again. "You only have a week to finish my gown," she said, putting her sunglasses on, turning her back to me and walking away.
      "Are you kidding me?" I yelled, before she reached the door.
      She stopped in her tracks and looked at me. "Do I look like I am, Merill?" her smile turned into a warning, "Obviously, I am serious. Finish it next week or else—"
      Before she can continue her sentence, I stopped her. "You know, Annika, I suggest you better find someone better. I cannot finish this gown of yours for a week, I'm so sorry," I let her go, but instead of slamming the door, she went closer to me in an angry demon look.
      "Not a problem. But I'll tell Reggie that you have a daughter. He is your boyfriend, right?" she whispered, deafening whispers that can make your ears bleed. The way she warned me was threatening, no wonder, she was fund of giving threats.
     My temper rose up. Maybe later or sooner, I will attack her. "Are you trying to mess up with me?" if she's more of a whisper, I'll yell then.
      She rolled her eyes. "Not my fault!"  she said walking away.
      And I threw some words that I promised, to the River Styx, that she won't forget.
      "It's not my fault either. It's actually all your fault, Annika. Well, thanks for stealing Harry. See, you've got a happy ending with him. But I don't even care for him either," she didn't look back but she stopped to listen. "My fault or not, but don't dare entering my life again, especially Darcy's. I'm pain in the ass, Annika. So, don't try to mess up with me. You know that I can tell Harry anytime that we have a daughter."
      "Finish my gown as soon as you can and everything will be okay, Merill," she said without even facing me and slammed the door leaving me a cliff-hanger.
      She was so fortunate that I can still control my anger. I heaved a deep sigh and sat on my seat resting my back. I want to show them how mad I am and throw everything I'm holding on their faces to let them feel the ache. Because I want them to feel how I felt before, now and in the near future.
       Harry is so clueless! He's so selfish! You're a bastard, Harry Styles!
      Tears started to stream down my face and into the design I was working before Annika ruined my day. Damn it! I was working hard for that design, it's for my daughter. I almost finished it.
      With no valid reasons, I crumpled the paper and threw it somewhere. I don't want to remember him again.
      In the middle of my sentimental moment, the door creaked open. My sister went in, approached me and attacked me into a hug, a comforting hug.
      "I'm sorry, Merill, I'm so sorry. It won't happen again, I promise," she whispered, rubbing my back slowly and softly. "Oh, gods, I forgot that she's evil!"
      I pulled away from our hug and looked at her. "Don't be, Sis, it's not your fault," I said between my sobs. I managed to give her a smile from my sadness, caused by my stupidity.
      "Sorry," she teased. "I'm going to get some iced tea and pizza, I'll be back," she promised and made her way to the door but before she closed it, she gave me a teasing wink.

      I brushed the snow from my coat and stepped inside the house. The cool breeze outside eventually faded as I stepped on the marble floor. My little angel appeared from the kitchen, her smile became wider and wider as she approached me.
      "Mommy!" she greeted cheerfully and attacked me in a hug.

...

Check out the banner made by @arduithe_

cynthnie.x