09. Ian

Surprised, Merill’s weight became heavy that she almost fell. I watched her staring at the television dumbstruck while the tears are forming into her eyes as she lean on me, asking for support and comfort.
      Trying to make things light, I settled Merill on the couch and took the phone on the table.
      “I’ll call you later, Sel.”
      “Ian, wait! You need to listen!”
      “Leave it! We’re going to talk later!” I said before ending the call.
      Looking at Merill from the corner with her head down made me totally sad. I can’t blame her from crying, she still loves Harry and even if she hates Annika, they both became good friends before. They have this special bond that we don’t have. I think she still have this soft spot for Annika.

            Can’t resist myself from watching, I sat beside her and hugged her tightly as I can. If I can just take all the pain and let her be happy, I will. Hearing her sobs and feeling the liquid substances that made my shirt wet, I can definitely feel how sorry she is for them, she’s sorry to the persons who ruined her life.
       You know you love me, you know you care
       Just shout whenever, and I’ll be there
       You are my love--
       Immediately, I took the phone and answered it.
       “Selena, can you give—”
       “Ian, I won’t call if this is not important. Listen, Annika’s mother is accusing Merill in a foul play! Merill should go her right now and defend herself before things get worse!”
      “Merill is innocent! She will not kill and she cannot kill people!”
      “That’s why I’m asking you to bring her here!”
      “She still can’t, Selena! She can’t!”
      “Ian, Merill needs your help and I know you can help her,” I heard her sighed. “I’ll call you later, bye.”
      The call eventually ended. Thinking about the right and exact words to say that won’t make her feel nervous, I finally got the guts I need to explain everything in a calm way. With my voice low and almost whispering while my eyes that are full of sincerity look at her with such love—here I go again, assuming complicated things.
      After the long explanation, we finally agreed to go to the hospital as early as we can.
      Upon arriving, flashes of cameras greeted us in the hospital, good thing Selena rescued us immediately and helped us escape the media in the lobby. She led us into a passage way to where Harry is now.
      Trying her best to hide her emotions, Merill burst out crying on my shoulders when she saw Harry on the glass wall lying on the bed unconscious with bandage all over his head and different wires connected from the machine to his body.
       “He’s fifty-fifty,” Selena said, sadly.
       “Is Annika really dead?” Merill managed to ask between her heavy sobs.
       “Yes,” Selena answered in her low voice. “She got the worst impact in her head that caused her death.”
       The doctor said Harry is in good hands but he lost a lot of blood. We both have the same blood type so I was asked to donate some. Unfortunately, he’s in coma and if he won’t be awake in three days, chances are he will never be awake again.
       Comforting Merill while rubbing her arms while her head is resting on my shoulder will be a good view, kidding. After waiting for someone to interview us, a Police approached us. I just watch Merill and the Police man having a little chit chat and eventually, Merill invited me to have some coffee.
       We all left the hospital together with the Police. We stopped by Starbucks and ordered some coffee for us to drink, and then the interview started.
       “Ms. Hemsworth, this is a direct to the point question that you need to answer honestly,” the Chief of Police said, his voice broad but respectful. “Mr. Styles and Ms. Lewis were seen leaving the Fashion House that is owned by your sister, Elisha Hemsworth. Am I right?”
       “Yes,” Merill answered.
       “What are they doing there?” the Chief of Police asked.
       Hesitantly, Merill answered, “Annika came to take a look on her gown that she asked me to do.”
       “She saw the gown?” Looking straight at Merill’s eyes, the Chief of Police asked again.
       “Just the design, since I can’t start the gown without her approval,” said Merill.
       “After showing her the design, what happened next?” looking both at Merill and the Police made me nervous a little.
       “We are in my office talking about the gown and then eventually everything heat up and we started arguing about stuffs,” Merill explained.
      “You and Ms. Lewis argued about what, Ms. Hemsworth?”
      Merill gulped, “the gown.”
      “Only about the gown, Ms. Hemsworth?”
      Sighing, Merill looked at me asking for help and answered, “And Harry.”
      “It is clear to all people that you are an ex-girlfriend of Mr. Styles, it’s possible that the present and past girlfriend of the guy will fight. In reality, it’s happening. I can definitely say that since my son is also experiencing those stuffs. But I think it won’t lead into a fight if someone from the two of you said something that can definitely make a person’s temper heat up,” said the Police, trying to make the topic light and normal.
       “I agree with you, Chief,” I inserted, saluting.
       “Cool guys like us are experiencing those stuffs,” he winked at me. “But back to our conversation, Ms. Hemsworth, something bad definitely happened between your talk with Ms. Lewis. Am I right?”
       No, not really,” Merill said, denying. “She just threatened me. She told me—”
       “You can file a case when a person is threatening you. But what did she said?” The Police became interested eventually on the topic.
       “That she will—” Merill started to cry. “That she’ll take my daughter away from me.”
       The Police’s eyes went wide while Selena and I looked at each other not sure what to do. And for sure we cannot take it back.
       “Chief, we are begging you not to tell a single soul about this! It will cause great danger to the little girl!” I explained, almost kneeling in nervousness.
       “And for sure the Styles’ won’t let the media know about this, it will ruin Harry’s career,” Selena added.
      “I’m going to keep my word, Mr. Highmore and for the two ladies,” he assured us.
      “We trust you!” I said.
      “Trust me. Not a single soul will know a thing about this,” he said, raising his right arms.
      “Thank you,” Selena whispered.
      “Continue, Ms. Hemsworth,” the Police said, going back to the main topic.
      “I raised my voice and she threw me some things that were in my office. Harry heard us, he went in and heard me screaming,” Merill wiped her tears. “I was screaming that if Annika touches Darcy, I don’t know what I can do to her.”
       “After that, they both left the building and they stroll off while Harry is driving the car,” I added, ending the story.
      “That’s all?” asked the Police.
      “Yes, Sir,” said Merill.
      “Well, thanks for your time, Ladies and gentle man,” the Police smiled and one by one shook our hands.
      I led the Police out the coffee shop and there I asked him, “Sire, do you think this accident will lead to the court?”
        “I’m not quite sure of my answer, but I’m hoping it won’t. It’s a long process and it’s going to be complicated of course, Mr. Highmore,” he sighed while tapping my shoulder. “I will do my best to finish this case immediately, it’s obvious that Ms. Hemsworth has nothing to do with the car accident and I believe that she’s the one who need justice.”