04. Merill

It might be selfish to think about Harry tonight, but the flashbacks that are replaying in my mind are unstoppable. All the details are still visible and it felt real. When we first locked gazes, when we first smiled at each other, our first conversation, our first touch, and our first date, when he asked me to be his girlfriend, the special events and the day of my sixteenth birthday. It was not just memories but hurtful memories that can kill you and can break you into pieces. And what's worse? Realizing that no one can mend you except him.

     I wiped my tears away, clearing the thoughts out of my mind. I touched the floor with full strength to get up when I accidentally moved my hand under the bed causing chaos to the things under it.

     I leaned down checking the disaster and saw a wooden box lying down on the dusty floor. Curiosity hit me and I decided to grab it. After blowing the dust away I slowly opened the box which revealed countless of pictures from the past.

     Stunned, I took the picture with a frame and clearly saw the photo placed inside it. A young girl holding a present and a curly haired guy holding her waist were smiling shyly in the picture. That was the day Harry brought me to his house to introduce me to his family.

     I continued scanning the pictures while my mind was stirring the wheel of some scenes from my past. My emotion is currently mixed up with happiness, sadness, loneliness, anger and guilt. Why am I feeling like this? It was a stupid idea to fall even if I knew no one will catch me.

     A knock from the door interrupted my thoughts and made me jolt from my position. "Mims," the gentle man appeared from the door, "can I come in?"

     I nodded, wiping my tears away and putting the pictures back to the box. I hid it under the bed making sure Ian won't be tempted to open it.

     Ian closed the door slowly, locking it and settled beside me. "Are you alright?" he asked.

     Avoiding his gaze, I took a deep breath and answered, "Yes, I'm fine, Ian."

     He huffed, "I don't believe you, and you seems like you cried a lot."

     I closed my eyes, preventing tears to construct. "I was just thinking, that's all," I answered, sobbing.

     "What were you thinking?" he asked.

     I can't handle all these emotion building inside me. I burst out crying while Ian rubbed my back gently.

     "I'm just afraid Darcy will be taken away from me if Harry will meet her or know that she's his daughter."

     "If he ever does that, I won't let him," I looked at him, "because I'm here for the both of you, and of course he can't just take Darcy away from you."

     "What if Harry is just here spying us? What if he's just finding the right time to take Darcy away from me? What if..." My blabbering was interrupted by Ian whose index finger was pressing my lips.

     "Those are 'what if's', Merill," he finally removed his finger from my soft lips after satisfying himself. "Those are just stupid things in your mind. Relax and don't think about him often. Just think about your future with Darcy."

     The words he spit out made me feel better. I looked at him with a smile.

     "Darcy's asleep," he snapped.

     I grinned at him, tears still falling from my eyes, "That's great."

     When he noticed, he moved closer brushing the tears by his thumb and cupping my cheeks.