50• There's no smoke without fire •50

By the time I found Billy again, he was on the porch stood next to Milo of all people

By the time I found Billy again, he was on the porch stood next to Milo of all people. Milo was smoking a joint when I approached them and was the first to notice my presence.

"Charlie, where have you been hiding?" Milo greeted me when I stopped in front of them.

Billy turned to see me stood beside him and gave me a smile, but it didn't reach his eyes. I could tell he was probably still pissed about earlier, which made what I had to tell him so much worse.

"Bathroom." I told Milo.

"Listen, that thing that came up during the game, it was nothing. Probably Lizzie pissed off I wasn't paying her any attention."

I raised my eyebrows slightly at his comment. It was the first time I had seen him outwardly present his ego to me. I didn't like it.

"Ugh, okay." I replied and turned back to Billy.

However, I felt Milo's hand on my shoulder. "Seriously, I just want to reassure you — I'd never do anything like that."

"Sure." I replied, trying to sound like I believed him, but my voice sounded quiet and weak.

"Don't worry about it, it's not like we'd actually believe that crap. Someone was just being a dick." Billy interrupted.

I was glad for the interruption, but I was unsettled by Billy's comment. Billy was outwardly saying to us that he believed Milo. A shiver ran down my spine.

God, I'd never experienced a conversation like this.

"Yeah or someone's being a bitch." Someone butted in and I turned around to Sadie now standing opposite me.

A half nervous laugh escaped my lips as I felt my heart freeze as Sadie met my eyes.

Was she going to tell him now? In front of Milo? He couldn't  know I did it. Shit. What would someone like Milo do if they found out I had just exposed him in front of his friends?

I needed to get out of here.

"Um, Billy?" I said, turning my focus onto him. "I think I should be getting back. My Mom told me I couldn't stay out late tonight. Could you drive me home?"

I was lying about my Mom giving me a curfew. I just wanted to get away from here. This was a bad idea. I was alone and in over my head. I couldn't wait twenty minutes, I needed to leave now.

Billy turned to me with a hint of slight disappointment in his eyes, but he nodded and search the pocket of his jacket for his car keys.

"Saydes, I'll drop Charlie back and pick you up from here on my way back if you want to stay here a little longer? Or you can ride with us?"

"Pick me up on your way back to this side of town," Sadie replied and looked at me. "I'll keep you company on the drive home, I'll bet you'll need some." Sadie said, meeting my eyes. I tried not to gulp.