Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"Got lost in your head again?" Ryan startled me as he sat down next to me. I had decided to get to school early and sit in the cafeteria, which was abandoned at this hour of the morning. It was weird being with my mom when she and I both knew that what had happened yesterday was no nightmare. She was trying to pretend that everything was normal, but I just couldn't. I had killed someone, that was the harsh truth. It wouldn't be long until the police got involved. To be honest I wasn't sure what to do right now. It is easy to imagine yourself going through hardships, but it isn't always easy to accept those hardships in real life. Who was I kidding? It is never easy.

I don't even remember leaving the house last night...I don't remember taking the knife...I don't remember killing him... But I do remember waking up with his blood on my hands and I remember standing over his lifeless body.

"Sage?" Ryan bopped me on the nose.

"I'm sorry," I replied. "I wasn't really listening."

"Well, that's clear." Ryan draped his arm over my shoulder. He wore a white shirt and the first couple of buttons were undone, showing off a thin margin of his chest hair. His golden eyes gazed upon me and made me squirm in my seat. I preferred him with glasses on: it made him look slightly less intimidating and it killed the stereotypical jock vibe. "The party's tonight," he told me. "I'll pick you up at 8."

"8?" I asked, wondering how late we were going to stay out.

He nodded.

Ok, maybe it wasn't so bad if I missed a couple of hours of sleep. I mean weird things happen in my sleep. It was strange that I wasn't as freaked out by the prior nights events. I expected to have to work harder to push these thoughts to the back of my mind, but it was surprisingly easy.

***

My last period of the day was English and for once I was dreading going home; I wasn't sure how to act around my mother anymore. "The butler did it," the girl in front of me answered without putting her hand up, which confused me horribly since I thought you always had to put your hand up when you wanted to answer a question. Guess I was wrong.

"Not quite, Ms Woods," Professor Shay replied. He was a short old man with a head full of curls, which honestly looked like a wig to me. No one's real hair is that glossy. His eyes were squished close to the top of his head and his nose was extremely pointed, like a fishhook. His hands were also fidgeting, and something I learned from yesterday was that he liked to spit. And unfortunately, it was the middle of the school year, and everyone had already claimed their seats. So I was seated in front and subjected to being showered every time he spoke, which was all the time. I was seriously considering bringing an umbrella to class on Monday. "Anyone else?" he asked.

I raised my hand and once the teacher acknowledged me, proceeded to answer. "King Edgar," I said, causing all eyes in the room to turn to me.

"Have you read this book before?" the Professor asked, peering at me from under his spectacles.

"So, I'm right then?" I inquired, smiling.

"Have you read this before?" He repeated in a harsher voice, and his reddened face made it look like he was about to scream, I couldn't imagine why. Wasn't the point of this exercise to give the right answer?

I shook my head.

"Then how did you know?" It sounded like he was accusing me of lying. This was exactly why I didn't want to come to school: high school teachers were distrusting. Surely if you haven't been to school since you were seven, you could be home-schooled for your whole life.

"It just makes sense," I explained. "King Edgar wanted his son to be the next King and when his son ran away to marry a peasant, he killed the girl in the hopes that his son would come back to the castle and accept the throne."

The girl in front of me swivelled in her chair. "That was really smart." She seemed like a nice girl. Her blond hair was tied in bunches on either side of her head, and she still had silver squares on her teeth, braces. Her eyes were brown, and they swam with many thoughts and emotions. I wasn't one for classifying people, but she was a nerd. Not that there was anything wrong with being a nerd, since the nerd always steals the mean girl's boyfriend.

"Thanks."

"How did you know?"

"I don't know," I truthfully replied. "Call me crazy, but it was instinct."

She turned back around to concentrate on the lesson.

I guess this is what my mom meant when she said she'd never watch another crime movie with me. She said it as a joke, but I always thought there was something more. It seemed like she was afraid of telling me something. This is probably why I tend to stick to romance books; I always know who the criminal is after reading the first couple of chapters of a mystery novel. So it isn't very suspenseful or mysterious to me at all.

***

As I was walking home from school, I zipped my thin jacket up, because the air was chilly and made goosebumps erupt all over my skin. The harsh wind made the tree branches curl and seem longer, making it look like the trees had hands with fingers growing out of fingers. I took a deep breath. I was probably still edgy from last night's nightmare.

I concentrated on putting one foot in front of the other, but stopped suddenly when I saw a phone on the ground. It was unlocked and the light from it shone brightly, like a beacon in the gloomy atmosphere. I picked the phone up and the minute I did so, it started ringing.

I answered the phone and put it to my ear.

"Hello Sage Foster, we've been looking for you for a very long time."

I dropped the phone, just in time to see a figure appear in front of me. His entire body was covered, his long overalls reaching just below his fingertips and the hat he wore cast a shadow on his face, keeping his facial features a secret from me.

I turned around and ran back towards the school. If this man was stalking me, then I could get help inside. Unless he was a policeman, then nobody could save me. 

Please vote and comment if you enjoyed this chapter.