Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Ryan hadn't breathed a word to me after I came out of the closet with Kaden. All he did was grab my hand and pull me out of the house.

He still didn't talk to me as he opened the car door for me, nor when we were driving home. His eyes were glued to the dimly lit road and his hands were gripping the steering so tight that his knuckles turned white. Part of me was worried that if I opened my mouth I'd be forced to walk home, so I kept my mouth shut.

Derek also seemed pretty angry with me, since he had been ripped away from his make-out session. I felt bad for him; he didn't seem like the kind of guy who went for any girl, and I felt guilty that I was the reason Ryan had whisked him away.

Calum noticed something was wrong with his friends, but he didn't try to find out what the problem was. He seemed happy to have me rest my head on his shoulder, so I did just that. The tiredness had hit straight after I lost sight of Kaden. I wasn't used to staying out this late. I was one of those girls who had a set bedtime every day. I had forgotten to feel tired while watching Kaden's every move, but as soon as he was out of my sight my body realised if I didn't get home soon, I'd probably drop down dead from exhaustion.

***

Back in the comfort of my room, I absentmindedly braided my hair as I thought about Kaden. I couldn't seem to forget the way his touch sent bolts of electricity through my body. Just thinking about the kiss made my heart dance uncontrollably. I never thought that a nickname that was derived from the colour of my hair would give me butterflies, and for the first time in years I was happy that my hair was so different from everyone else's. I looked out of my window and noticed that the sky was at its darkest and the stars were at their brightest. The perfect time to make a wish. I closed my eyes and pictured Kaden's unforgettable face. He was so cocky, and somehow that only added to his charms.

I had put my mother's clothes back where I had found them. Hopefully, she wouldn't notice I had borrowed them. She shouldn't; I hadn't spilt anything on it, they were as good as new.

I almost felt like I was drunk, but that couldn't be so since I hadn't consumed any alcohol. The feeling of warmth continued to spread through every part of me and soon the chill of the night was forgotten. I was able to climb into bed without any blankets and prepare myself to dream of nothing but Kaden.

***

"Sage." I awoke to the sound of my name being whispered.

"Mom?" I asked, wondering why she had come home so late; well early, it looked like the sun had just risen.

She opened her mouth to say something but was interrupted by the sound of something crashing onto the floor.

"Mom, what was that?" I asked, fear making its way into my voice.

My mother's face was expressionless as she replied. "They found us." She didn't seem scared, it was more like she was just stating a fact. They? Who were they? The stalker guy from yesterday? The police?

Before I could make sense of her words, the door was thrown open and we were confronted by two males. At least I assumed they were males. I couldn't be sure because their faces were covered with scarves. They looked like they were part of the mafia. One of the guys wasn't too tall, but he looked relatively big. His shoulders were broad, and his arms displayed lots of tattoos. They were both dressed in black, but the second guy looked less grim than the first. Even if I couldn't see his face, I could see his green eyes; and that was enough to tell me exactly who he was.

"Kaden," I breathed loud enough for him to hear me. Just as I realised who he was all the fear left me. It was like his presence didn't allow me to feel anything but tranquillity. I sat bolt upright as I surveyed him. His toned chest could be seen through the tight black shirt he wore. His dark hair was visible, and just by looking at it I was able to remember the way it had felt when I twined my hands around his neck and played with his hair.

His green eyes switched focus between me and my mother; she was still kneeling by my bed, too shocked to move. And that's when I saw it, the glint of silver in his hand: a knife. He raised it towards us but stopped short when he saw my stricken face. He walked towards me with long measured strides. His feet made no sound as they came into contact with the laminated wooden flooring.

"I'm so sorry, Foxie," he whispered, quickly touching my face, before joining his friend and exiting down the stairs. He knew I would know it was him and it seemed like he wanted me to know. He knew I wouldn't tell the police. If I wanted to alert anybody I would have screamed and made a fuss. But why did he come here? And why was he dressed like a robber? Unless he was one, and last night was a game and nothing more. Before he left my room, I saw him drop something: a thin piece of card. I knew what it was without even looking. My Identity Card.

My mother had always told me to take my ID with me wherever I go. In case there was an accident and the paramedics rushed me off to the hospital, they'd need know my identity. I had noticed its absence earlier but had been in no mood to look for it.

He had taken it when he slipped his fingers into my pocket. He had taken me into the room with the sole intention of stealing my ID card, and then robbing my house.

I had let him steal my first kiss and not once did I think that the boy who I gave my first kiss to would have the power to hurt me so much.

***

"You want to talk about what happened last night?" my mother asked me, as I joined her in the living room.

"No." I rubbed my sore eyes.

"You knew him." I wasn't sure if she misheard my no for a yes or if she didn't care what I said. She wore a flannel gown to ward off the chill in the air, the chill that had nothing to do with the weather, but rather the tension that rose in the room when we tried to confront the events of the previous night.

"No," I fibbed.

"Sage, you've never hidden anything from me before. Please don't start now."

"I will start, since now I know you've been hiding things from me." I continued speaking, not allowing her to get a word in. "The man I killed... The man following me. I heard you taking on the phone with Patrick. And when Kaden... when we were robbed last night you said They found us... Who found us? Who did you think they were?" I didn't raise my voice, because she was more likely to give me answers if I spoke in a calm and measured tone rather than a defiant one.

"I guess this is what they mean when they say rebellious sixteen," she sighed, reminding me that my sixteenth birthday was just around the corner. That was where our conversation ended, and I knew my words did not affect her. She didn't seem to care in the least bit that I was onto her. 

Please vote and comment if you enjoyed this chapter.