Chapter 30

Chapter 30

I didn't dare go into the bedroom. It didn't seem right. I had absolutely no clue what Kaden and Gina were doing, but I had a feeling it was something similar to what Kaden and I would do if we were left alone. Instead, I spent most of the day sitting on the entrance hall floor , with my back against the wall; I let my tears flow heavily. The tears allowed me some relief, but not enough. The only way I would be fully relieved was when I knew that Kaden wanted me, and only me. Since I was in the entrance hall, quite a few people passed me: Emma, who pretended she hadn't seen me; Aaron, who backed away when he saw me crying; and lastly Flynn, who tried to approach me. I shook my head at him, telling me I'd prefer to be left alone.

My hair was sticking to the side of my face in a very unattractive way, but I was too crestfallen to fix it. I just wanted to sit there and wallow. I couldn't resist the urge to rub my frozen hands together and blew hot air on them. The jersey I wore was thick, thick enough to fully encase me in warmth, but my fingers were still cold. I knew that there was a pair of gloves next to the bed, but I didn't want to go in there. Would it be embarrassing to walk in on someone doing the deed? Or would it be better for me to get it over and done with, since I was almost certain Kaden liked Gina more than he liked me? They had known each other for longer. Had he always felt this way towards her? Was I just a placeholder, until he could get her back?

This was not the first time my thoughts were interrupted by a siren. The siren was familiar and unnerving, and I wondered why the FBI would bother with that siren anymore; it just alerted people that they were coming. I didn't move from where I was sitting. I knew that I should have moved because my face would be the first they saw when they opened the front door, but I didn't have half the energy required to push myself up.

"What the hell?" Kaden pulled up next to me. He was either too stressed to realise I was crying, or he didn't actually care. "Get up!" he yelled, looking at the door and trying to deduce (from the sound of the siren) how close the FBI were. "It's a house-to-house search," he explained, when I didn't move. Eventually he got sick of my lack of effort and he bent down to pick me up, slinging me over his shoulder like I weighed nothing more than a backpack. When he started walking away with me, I was aware that my skin was touching his and his hands were on the back of my thighs; but I didn't allow myself to feel anything, because I knew that I would only be disappointed.

"We'll have to hide you in the basement," Kaden told me. "I'll be with you, but the others have to stay up here. The FBI have seen the lights on, they know somebody's in here." And then, as if on cue, there was a series of knocks on the door. Kaden sped up and quickly said something to Holden, too low for me to hear. Holden agreed to whatever Kaden had told him and went to wait at the front door, ready to open it as soon as the two of us had left.

Once we were in the basement, Kaden set me down. He held his hands on either side of me, to catch me in case I fell. The basement was dark, hot and stuffy, completely different to the rest of the house. I couldn't see much, but I could see boxes. Some seemed to be filled to overflowing and others were lying empty on their sides, like someone had attempted to pack up their life but decided it wasn't worth it and gave up halfway.

"It's going to be okay," Kaden assured me, mistaking my silence for worry, when in fact I just didn't want to talk to him.

"I don't need your reassurance," I snapped, my eyes wide.

"What?" He put his hands on the wall on either side of my face, caging me in, forcing me to press my back up against the wall. I could just about make out a glint in his green eyes, but other than that I couldn't see his expression, to gauge if he was confused or amused. "Are you jealous?" he asked incredulously. I didn't say anything, knowing he would know if I lied. "Well, I can assure you that there is nothing to be jealous about. There was something between Gina and I," he confessed, "but it's over now. You have nothing to worry about. I'm all yours and I always will be."