Part 3- Sage Chapter 22

Part 3- Sage Foster

Chapter 22

Kaden, I think I'm in love with you. I repeated those words over and over in my head, until I wasn't sure if I had actually said it or just thought it. It shouldn't have been easy falling for Kaden...not with everything I knew about him. He had used me twice for his own selfish gains. He was a criminal and the kind of boy I had been warned to stay away from; the Heartbreaker who would enjoy trampling all over my heart.

But I had fallen, and there was nothing I could do. I had fallen right by his feet and the only thing that would satisfy my heart was being close to him. But ever since we awoke after a peaceful night of sleep together, he seemed to be avoiding me. His eyes were everywhere, purposely sliding over me like I didn't exist.

I feebly smiled at him, trying to catch his attention, but I averted my eyes quickly when I realised someone might catch me staring.

"Hey." Derek sat down next to me. I wasn't sure what Aaron had told Derek about the gang, but it was safe to assume Derek had no idea about the criminal activities that this band of delinquents were engaged in, I don't think he'd stick around if he knew.

"Hi," I replied.

Derek had gotten more adventurous with his attire. He was dressed in a blue v-neck shirt with purple and white striped pants. On top of that he had decided to get a piercing, and now a silver hoop hung from his left ear lobe. I guess Aaron was rubbing off on him. His dreadlocks hung over his forehead and looked like it was obscuring his vision. He looked more comfortable than I had ever seen him. I was happy that he had found Aaron, and the two of them looked like they were made for each other. Aaron never missed a chance to hold Derek's hand or kiss his cheek. It was little things like that that made their relationship perfect. It was like a puzzle, all the little pieces coming together to form something spectacular.

"I think you should call Ryan," Derek suggested. "It's been too much for him, losing Calum and now you."

My breath caught in my chest when Calum was mentioned. I remembered the look in his eyes when he was killed and the life was leaving his body. The memory was gruesome and not at all something I'd like to remember. But something like that was not something one can forget, especially since I had been the one who killed him. It was a haunting memory that brought tears to my eyes.

"Sage?" Derek awkwardly wrapped an arm around my shoulder.

"What did you do to her?" Kaden was furious as he walked towards us from across the room. He examined my tearful face and held out a hand towards me.

I dried my tears. "It wasn't him." I shook my head, trying to push the picture of Calum's lifeless body out of my head. I looked up at Kaden, worry evident on his gorgeous face. I shook Derek's hand away; a murderer didn't deserve this kind of comfort from anyone, especially not her victim's best friend.

I stood up and watched Kaden's outstretched hand fall to his side. He was wearing an army-coloured T-shirt with a hole in the shoulder. I couldn't help but stare at the hole, at the tiny bit of bronzed skin that was visible under it. His skin looked flawless; an inaccurate representation of how much he had suffered. I wanted to know how he had gotten those scars, but I wouldn't press him. He would tell me eventually... I knew he would.

"You okay?" Kaden grabbed my upper arm as I tried to walk past him.

"Yeah," I responded. "I just need some air." Wrong thing to say, that's what everyone says when they're not okay.

I pried my arm free from Kaden's grasp and smiled weakly at him as I passed. I had spent so much time trying to get his attention; and when I did get his attention, I wanted to be alone.