Chapter 15

Chapter 15

"I have a plan to get us out of here, " I told her. It wasn't one of my best ideas; hell, it was the worst idea I had ever had, but I was out of options here.

"An idea that involves you using me again?" she asked with confidence, as if she didn't for a second doubt her own words.

"Kind of." It was no use lying, she was going to find out in any event. I waited for her to say no or she didn't want to hear it, but her reaction surprised me. That was one of the things I liked about her, she never said or did what I thought she would.

"Fine, let's hear it," she replied.

"So," I wasn't sure how to go about this without scaring her, so I started explaining slowly. "That guy over there ...." I tilted my head towards Officer Johnson.

She waited for me to continue, her hazel eyes surveying my face in a way that showed she was hanging on to my every word.

"He's into you." I shrugged, as if this was normal: A police officer having feelings for a hot criminal... it might have been normal for all I knew.

"Right," she scoffed, disbelieving. "Let's pretend for a second I believe you. what does that have to do with anything."

"Foxie, you really know nothing about men, do you?"

"Shut up."

"I'm going to need you to trust me." I stepped closer to her, practically on top of her.

Her face tilted upwards slightly, but then she quickly looked down at her feet. "I swear if you kiss me again..." her threat trailed off.

"You'll stick a knife into my chest and twist it, until my heart turns into mush?"

"I was going to say I would slap you." She looked horrified and slightly out of breath. "But thanks for the suggestion, I might end up using it," she added, the horror on her face not wavering.

"You're too sweet to do something like that." I could feel the heat of her body radiating onto mine. She looked at me expectantly, the way girls looked at me when they wanted to be kissed. I looked at her lips and wondered if they were as sweet as I remembered. And part of me wanted to know if she'd actually slap me.

"Kaden?" I liked the way she said my name, hearing her say it was like she was trying to put me under a hypnosis spell. I lost all control and was incapable of stringing a sentence together. "Your plan?"

"My plan?" I shook my head and tried to get my brain back on track. "My plan?" I repeated more for my benefit than for hers. It's like she had managed to make me drunk, just by speaking my name.

Her face was scrunched up in what looked like a mixture of annoyance and confusion.

I shook my head, trying to focus on the idea that had crawled into my head just minutes earlier.

"Do you trust me?" I asked her.

"No," she replied, with only a moment's hesitation.

"Well, too bad," I grabbed the front of her jersey and with one powerful tug, ripped the jersey down the middle. There was a soft sound as the fabric tore; I looked at Officer Johnson to see if he noticed anything, but he was currently dozing in his chair. His body was slouched, and his cap was pulled over his eyes.

Sage's eyes pooled with emotions as she pulled away, the most prominent emotion being fear. I thought it was bad enough that she hated me, but it was worse now that she feared me.

Her big eyes grew bigger as she started breathing heavily. She pressed her body against the wall and opened her mouth to scream.

I quickly put a hand over her mouth. Maybe I should have explained what I was doing, before doing it. Her screams were muffled and her struggles were in vain, as her breath only succeeded in ticking my palm.