Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Kaden was sleeping on top of me. And I don't mean he was sleeping right next to me, I mean his body was actually right on top of mine. His head was buried in the crook of my neck and I could feel his breath tickling my throat. His body caged mine in and I was beginning to feel numb with all his weight.

"Kaden?" I whispered. I shouldn't have whispered: it would have been easier if I just spoke normally. I guess I just didn't want to tear him away from his dreams with a shock. "Kaden?" I gently nudged him.

"Ummm." His voice was husky and I liked hearing it this way, it was sexy.

"You're heavy."

"Sorry." He rolled over and lay flat on his back.

"It's okay," I responded, curling up close to his side and resting my head on his shoulder blade. He grabbed my waist and pulled me closer to him. He was worried, I realised, worried that I would go to Holden and try to cut the tracker out again.

"I can't breathe," I rasped, when his grip on me tightened.

"Sorry," he repeated. There was an angry edge to his voice that I could tell he was trying to hide. "I can't do anything right, can I?"

"What do you mean?" I enquired, trailing the tips of my fingers along his jawline. He curled his fingers around my wrist and brought my hand down to his chest, holding my hand over his heart so that I could feel his heart beating.

"Why did you let Holden touch you?" I couldn't see his voice, but I could tell that he was hurting.

"Well, there was nothing sensual about the touching," I replied, annoyed that that was the thing bothering him.

"That's not what I meant," he explained. "You should have listened to me, when I said it was dangerous. Don't you value your own life?" He turned my own words back on me. "I've never liked someone like this before. I'm still learning what to do and what not to do. It's daunting, not understanding my own feelings. And all I ask it that you at least try to listen to me."

"You can't tell me what to do." I was unsuccessful in my attempt keep my voice low. "You're not the boss of me."

"You sound like a child." It bothered me that he was finding me amusing.

"Well, it's true." I moved away from him, so that there was a decent sized gap between us. I turned away from him and tried to hide the gathering tears. I loved Kaden's possessive side, but there was a limit.

"Hey," he said tenderly, as he put a hand on my shoulder and gently tried to make me face him.

"Goddammit, Sage," he growled, when I refused to be swayed. "Just look at me."

I tried to hide the fact that I was shocked by his shouting at me, but a sob escaped.

I turned to face him, grateful that he couldn't see my face in the dark. "Why do you always do that?" I asked him.

"Do what?" He cradled my cheek in his palm, halting my tears in their tracks.

"Sometimes you're my lover and other times you're my.... bully."

"You think that was bullying?" He trailed his index finger along my lips, forcing them to part. "I'll show you bullying," he decided, cupping the back of my neck and bringing my face closer to his. He pressed his lips to mine and I gasped with the way his breath filled my mouth. His mouth was open against mine and he took my bottom lip between his teeth, making me wrap both my arms around his neck. The way he nibbled at my flesh left me feeling completely numb. I shivered slightly as his long eyelashes brushed against my cheek. Without removing his lips from mine, he put one of his hands under me and lifted me up, until my head was against the velvet headboard.