Part 7-Sage Foster Chapter 59

Part 7-Sage Foster

Chapter 59

I would have preferred to be unconscious, than to be aware of what was going on around me.

I was strapped to a metal cot. It was just my wrists that were tied together; but when I started kicking, strong hands wrapped around my ankles and held them in place.

"No!" I screamed, and thrashed my legs wildly. The man holding me had a neutral expression, making me wonder if he had actually heard me or if my voice was softer than I thought it was. "Please," I pleaded, a little louder this time, not realising that any sound I made had consequences. A knife was plunged into my thigh, causing my sweatpants to tear. My leg trembled with pain, and I was momentarily surprised at the small amount of force he had used to pierce through my skin. Holden hadn't been able to penetrate my skin with a similar looking pocketknife.

The man stepped away from me and nonchalantly wiped the knife on what I assumed were medical scrubs. He had a grave expression in his eyes, but the constant smirk on his face confirmed that his intentions were vile. His head was shaved, but a few sprouts of hair dotted the surface, taking away from the shininess of his otherwise clean head.

"I wouldn't do that if were you," I warned him, hoping he would stop hurting me if he knew what would happen if he kept touching my blood. "My blood is poisonous," I clarified, through gritted teeth.

"Well, that's interesting," he replied, with an air of formality around him, like I was just another part of his job. What? Had he not heard what I had just said? "And when did you figure this out?" He moved to carefully remove his scrubs, casting them aside. I was upset to see that there was no blood on his hands, or any other part of him, resulting in me regretting telling him.

"First, tell me where Kaden is," I ordered. I knew that I wasn't in any position to barter, especially since he was hovering over me with multiple weapons at his disposal.

"The handsome man you came in with?" The doctor absent-mindedly picked up a jar off the shelf and I choked on air when I saw what the jar contained. It was a baby, well a foetus, floating in a yellow liquid. Each finger and toe was clearly defined. Its eyes were closed, but its eyelashes moved slightly as a result of being hit by the unseen particles of the liquid. "He's dead." I was unsure if he was talking about Kaden or if he had followed the path of my eyes and was talking about the preserved foetus.

"Kaden can't be dead," I said, as a hope that he would clarify who he was talking about.

The doctor solemnly nodded his head. If I didn't know any better, I would say he actually cared.

My heart stopped beating for a second, before it started beating rapidly. "You' re lying," I accused, trying to break free of the ropes that bound my wrists down to the bed. I found that now I couldn't move my feet either. He had bound my ankles as well, without me even realising it.

"No," he responded. There was a mocking tone in his voice, like he was trying to act sorrowful, but not trying to hide the amusement that crept into his voice. "I made sure I left him for dead."

"He can't be dead." All the life had been drained out from me and I lay limply on the cot. "He wouldn't do that to me."

"Not like we gave him much of a choice," the doctor replied, letting the professionalism slip from his voice for a fraction of a second.

"If Kaden was dead, I'd know it," I said, in a low enough voice so that he wouldn't hear what I said. The second the words were out of my mouth I realised how ridiculous they sounded. Those kinds of love connections only existed in novels and the occasional movie.