Chapter 18

Chapter 18

I held Sage's hand as Holden's gaze swept over us. His pale face went a shade paler, if that was even possible, and his eyes looked like they would pop out of their sockets. He was dressed completely in black, and I could tell his mere presence was intimidating to Sage: her fingernails were digging into my palm and her body was pressed against mine. I couldn't imagine why she was trying to gain comfort from me after all I had put her through; it was probably because my face was the only familiar one here.

"Why did you bring her here?" Holden hissed, through his teeth.

"Where's Flynn?" I had learnt how to dodge uncomfortable questions by asking other questions.

"In the kitchen." Emma was leaning against the wall and she smiled slightly at Sage, who was too scared to return her smile.

I led Sage to the kitchen.

Holden's movements were the epitome of silence, which is why I didn't realise he was following us, until I turned my head slightly to look at Sage. I saw Holden directly behind her, within touching distance. I wasn't scared of Holden, but I was scared for Sage. Holden looked like he would jump at the opportunity to get rid of her. I yanked on Sage's arm and placed myself between her and Holden. She gave me a questioning glance. I shook my head and instead glared at Holden, daring him to touch her.

When we entered the kitchen, Flynn was seated on one of the rickety stools, drinking coffee. His hair looked like it had flecks of gold in it and the rest of his body was silhouetted by the shadows of the wooden planks that let very little light in. He didn't acknowledge us, which surprised me, since I didn't think our entrance had been quiet, I wasn't like Holden, I had a habit of stomping when I wanted to be heard.

"Should we say something?" Sage whispered into my ear.

I cleared my throat loudly and only then did Flynn turn to us.

"Emma said you'd escaped from prison," Flynn stated. He looked very business-like in his pressed suit. I had always wondered how he managed to keep those suits wrinkle free and spotless, especially since this place was constantly covered in dust bunnies and moth balls.

"Yeah," I replied, scratching the back of my neck.

Flynn's gaze slid over me and onto Sage. She looked tiny in my oversized hoodie, no older than thirteen.

"Hi." Sage voiced sweetly. She jumped back when his coffee cup cluttered to the floor. The brown liquid lay in a pool on the floor and that served as a sort of mirror. I could look at Flynn's face without looking up at him. The coffee distorted his features slightly, but I could see that his mouth had formed a straight line and his forehead was creased. It didn't look like he was breathing and that's probably why Holden stepped towards him.

Flynn held out a hand to stop Holden, but didn't take his eyes off Sage.

"Grace?" Flynn finally spoke. "It can't be. Grace, my love." He took a step closer to Sage, and she didn't move a muscle when he stopped in front of her. He touched her lips with his thumb and then stared into her eyes. "Grace," he whispered.

"I'm not Grace," Sage told him, furrowing her brows I confusion.

The sound of her voice seemed to shock him and he staggered backwards, slipping on the spilt coffee and falling back into Holden's hands. Holden swore under his breath as he struggled to upright Flynn; and the fact that Flynn seemed to have no desire to stand on his own two feet didn't seem to be helping.

Flynn's shocked face was enough to convince me that it was in our best interest to leave, and talk to him later when he didn't look like he was about to throw up.

***

"Who's Grace?" Sage asked me, as soon as we were back in my room.

"I have no idea."

If I had it my way, which I didn't, she would be wearing something of Emma's instead of my hoodie. I was finding it particularly difficult to avert my eyes when she sat down on the bed and the hoodie exposed her creamy thighs. Her long hair was tangled and flowed down her shoulders, the perfect contrast with the black of the hoodie.

"You should get some sleep," Sage suggested, catching me off guard.

I laughed. I didn't mean to, but the serious tone of her voice made it difficult to keep a straight face. "Aaron put you up to this?" I had wondered what Aaron wanted when he pulled Sage aside and whispered something in her ear while we were walking back to my room. I had asked her what it was, but of course she had refused to tell me anything.

"No," she winced slightly. God, this girl was an awful liar.

"Do I look tired?" I placed my hands on the wall I was leaning against and pushed myself forward, so that I was just a couple of feet away from her.

She nodded her head in response.

"If I was half as tired as you make me out to be, you'd at least be able to keep your eyes off of me," I teased her, to steer the conversation away from my recent lack of sleep. I was tired, exhausted actually. But I couldn't sleep. I couldn't trust Holden. Sage wasn't capable of protecting herself from him, so for now I was acting as her knight in shining armour.

"I wasn't," Sage stuttered and chewed on the inside of her cheek, causing the corners of my lips to curl slightly. "I wasn't looking at you." Her cheeks took on a red colour, as she looked down at her feet.

"No, of course not," I smirked. "You were looking at the seemingly attractive wall next to me. It just so happened that every now and then your eyes met mine."

"You should sleep," Sage repeated, making it sound like an order. It was a bit difficult to obey her, especially while she was still blushing.

"You're so persistent."

"Thank you," she replied.

"It wasn't a compliment."

"Too bad. I'm taking it as one."

Please vote and comment if you enjoyed this chapter.