Chapter 14

Chapter 14

"You can't do this to me."

I awoke to the sound of screaming... A lot of screaming. I was a bit disoriented when I woke up. It was the screaming that threw me off; usually I woke up to silence. There was a girl in front of me, in my cell. Funny how I was now referring to it as my cell, like it was my home. Her hair was messily thrown into a ponytail. She wore a black, knitted jersey and a black pleated skirt.

She hadn't seen me yet, so I tried to camouflage myself by blending in with the cell walls.

It wasn't difficult since my face was already grey with dirt.

"I don't have much of a choice," Officer Stark looked directly at her as he spoke. I don't know if I was imagining it, but his voice sounded like it was filled with pity.

"I haven't done anything wrong," she whimpered. And that's when I recognised her voice, vulnerable and somehow strong at the same time: Sage.

"I know," Officer Stark sighed. Then why was she here?

" This is the only safe place for you," he continued. "They won't look here." I felt curiosity rise up inside me, but he didn't offer an explanation as to who they might be. "You have to stay here unless you want to die." He exhaled deeply. This sounded like a private conversion, but it wasn't like I could tune their voices out- Stark was loud by nature, and Sage was practically screeching.

"And my mother?" she enquired with a shaky voice.

"I don't know," he shrugged, but his face was pained.

"Please let me leave," she begged. Her voice quivered and I wanted nothing more than to pull her to my chest and comfort her. I shook my head. This feeling of protectiveness was foreign to me; I didn't like it, it made me feel weak.

She stood there and continued to look at Officer Stark, and I continued to look at her. Her frame was small and delicate. Her clothes clung tightly to her body and showed off her perfectly curved hips. I averted my eyes, in case she caught me staring and accused me of being a pervert. I heard the sound of heavy footsteps that gradually faded and I assumed this was the sound of Officer Stark leaving.

I heard a soft thud as her body sank to the floor. She rested her cheek against the iron bars and wept silently.

Her face was turned slightly towards me. Either she didn't see me or she didn't care, because my presence didn't seem to have any impact on her.

I couldn't fathom how someone who was crying could look so beautiful. I had seen Emma cry countless times; but while Emma was melodramatic and loud, Sage was silent and graceful. Her face was slightly damp with tears and her hazel eyes were on the verge of closing. Her mouth, with its perfect cupid bow, was quivering and it caused me to remember the feel of her lips on mine.

Her skirt had ridden up her thigh, which was doing wonders for my concentration. A brief look through the cell's bars was enough to convince me that I wasn't the only one staring. Officer Johnson's eyes were darkened with lust and he seemed to be undressing Sage with his eyes. It was uncomfortable to watch, especially since a wave of protectiveness has washed over me again, forcing me to urge myself out of the shadows. I couldn't let them treat her the way they treated me, and it looked like Johnson would pounce on her at the first opportunity he got.

Very abruptly she stood up, making me wonder if this was an action she had wanted to take for some time, but was debating whether it was a good idea or not. She wrapped her thin fingers around the bars and pulled, similar to what I had done earlier. I stepped fully out of the shadows and alerted her to my presence.

"That doesn't work," I told her. "I've already tried."

Her body jerked forward in surprise and she turned towards me with pure shock on her face. Her mouth was pulled into a straight line and her eyes surveyed me for longer than was necessary, making me wonder if she recognised me.

"Hi Foxie." I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to give away who I was; if she was a rational person she'd probably want to murder me right now. Who could blame her? But if I was correct, she wasn't rational. She was far from it; rational people went to the police when they saw a robbery.

"Kaden," she gasped, as her hands flew to her mouth.

"The one and only." It was a bit hard to pull off a smirk with a split lip, so my attempt probably looked more like a grimace.

"What happened to you?" she enquired, as her forehead creased. If I didn't know any better, I would have said she was worried about me. But it couldn't be. She hated me. This I was convinced of. She surprised me by taking a step forward and touching her palm to my cheek. My eyes closed briefly at her touch, her fingers were soft and soothing.

I took a strand of her hair and twirled it around my index finger. She stepped back almost immediately, causing me to drop her hair.

I held my hands up in defence, palms facing her. "You touched me first," I said. "Couldn't keep your hands off me?"

She ignored me and turned to face the wall. "Of all the criminals I could end up with," she muttered. "It had to be him."

"Count your blessings," I suggested. "Not all criminals are this good looking."

She let out a laugh. A laugh that was devoid of any humour. A laugh that suggested she wasn't sure what else to do or what else to say.

"So, what did you do to end up here?" she asked, after a brief silence.

I shrugged nonchalantly. "Walked into a girls' boarding school and left a bunch of girls shell shocked."

I couldn't see her face, but I assumed she was rolling her eyes. "Obviously they haven't seen a lot of boys."

"Ouch," I feigned offense. But she wasn't looking at me, her eyes were wandering everywhere else and from her pin-straight posture I could tell that she knew I was staring at her. 

Please vote and comment if you enjoyed this chapter.