Chapter 50

Chapter 50

The car Holden and Ryan had managed to steal was sleek and expensive. It had TV screens on the backs of the seats, and the door handles were wrapped in leopard skin. I wanted to roll down the window, so that the space didn't feel so artificial, but Holden had turned on the heater. The warm air hit my face and I began to feel the effects of a sleepless night.

"Why would a car like this be left unattended to?" I enquired, leaning my head back into a cushion that was stuck to the leather with Velcro.

I had meant it as a rhetorical question, but Ryan still answered. "It wasn't," he responded, awkwardly tugging his ear. He was seated in the passenger seat, but kept looking back to make sure I wasn't sitting too close to Kaden. He didn't need to worry, because Kaden's carefree attitude was replaced by a stone cold one. He sat stiffly, and as far away from me as possible; his fingers were tangled in his lap. I had never seen him uncomfortable before.

"We had to tie the owner up," Holden added to Ryan's confession.

"What?" Kaden and I both asked in perfect synchronisation.

"Why?" I carried on when nobody replied.

"He wasn't being.... cooperative," Holden shrugged, as he turned the car down a side road. "But don't worry, someone is bound to find him, eventually."

"Eventually?" I mumbled, through clenched teeth.

"It'll be fine," Ryan said calmly, putting one of his hands toward me in the gap between the two front seats. I wrapped my fingers around his, allowing the feeling of skin on skin to distract me from the thought of a man with rope secured around his wrist and a gag in his mouth. I thought about him slowly starving to death, since no one would hear his muffled screams. I shivered involuntarily and looked to Kaden, wondering what he thought of this whole thing. I jumped slightly when his gaze met mine. His eyes widened when he saw me looking at him. He didn't look away; instead he lifted his chin up and stared at me.

I gulped at the way he caressed me with his eyes, and decided it was best if I looked out the window. The bustle of city life indicated that we had arrived in a residential area. Children, with scarves wrapped tightly around their necks and mittens covering their tiny hands, were walking their dogs. All I could think about was how I had never had that experience. I had always remained cooped up inside; but the second my mother let me out of the house alone, I had people chasing me and two hot guys fighting over me. Would I ever get a chance at a normal life?

It wasn't long before we pulled up at a familiar house. All my memories of this place were of Kaden and I in some sort of intimate embrace.

A ghost of a smile passed over Kaden's face, but it disappeared so quickly I wondered if I had only imagined it. He gave no other indication that he was thinking the same thing as me.

***

It was safe to say we were all pretty surprised when the door was opened by a plump lady wearing a fluffy nightgown, over even fluffier pyjamas. Her caramel hair was tied back into a high ponytail, but it was still frizzy and all over the place. Her lips were tinged red with lipstick that was beginning to fade.

"Can I help you?" she asked. Her voice exuded elegance and poise, even if her appearance contrasted it; it was easy to tell that she had money.

"No," Kaden replied, a little too quickly. "Wrong house, sorry to bother you."

"I hope you find the house you're looking for," she said politely and waited by the door until we had all climbed back into the car.

"Shit," Kaden swore. The sound of his voice coming from in front of me made me realise our positions had shifted. Kaden was in the driver seat and Holden was in the passenger seat. Ryan was next to me, and unlike Kaden he sat as close to me as was possible without making me feel claustrophobic. He slipped a hand around me and pulled me to him. I rested my head on his shoulder, while tracing his jawline with my index finger. He shivered and I wasn't sure if it was because he liked me touching him, or if my fingers were too cold. Kaden raised an eyebrow as I wrapped both my arms around Ryan's chest, but he chose not to comment.