Chapter 24

Chapter 24

I should have been used to the feeling of killing someone, the way my chest grew heavy and my trachea shrunk in size, but I wasn't. The feeling, though I had felt it before, felt new and somehow worse. I could breathe, but each time I took air in it felt like it took more effort to force it down.

I looked at the lifeless body at my feet. This time I had killed without any weapons. All I'd had to do was wrap my fingers around her throat and squeeze, while she thrashed and gasped.

I wasn't sure who she was or why she wore a belt that was stuffed with guns and knives, like she was planning on going hunting. Even if she was used to hunting and killing, I didn't think she deserved to die like this.

She was pretty, I decided, as pretty as a dead person could be. Her auburn hair fanned out around her looked like a pool of blood. When I ran into her in the woods the last thing I expected to do was kill someone, but I couldn't control the bloodlust that grew within me and demanded to be heard.

She wore a navy-blue jacket, and where the breast pocket should have been there were three bright yellow letters. They reflected the star light, making them reflect up at me: F B I. She was an FBI agent.

Her last words were: The others are on their way. Her words were ambiguous, but they still managed to send shivers down my spine. Others?

"Sage." I thought Kaden had stopped following me, I guess I was wrong. I hadn't expected him to find me so quickly. At least I assumed it was quick, since it didn't feel like I had been standing over the dead body for more than a couple of minutes. I was so startled when Kaden approached me, that I took a fumbling step forward. I had moved closer to the freshly killed woman, and realised that the heat had stopped radiating off her body. This made me wonder how long I had been out here. Did time speed up while the consequences of your actions seeped in? Or did bodies cool rapidly once life had departed from them?

"I killed her." At this point in time, I wasn't sure if I was talking to Kaden or if I was talking to myself. "I killed her," I repeated, as if the words would lose meaning if I said it enough times. "I killed her."

"Foxie." Kaden put a hand on my shoulder. He was shaking, but when he realised it, he steadied his hand. He gripped my shoulder tightly and pulled me closer towards him.

I shook his hand away. "I should go back to the police station," I suggested. "I deserve to be behind bars." It surprised me that my voice wasn't shaky, maybe it was because I truly believed what I was saying. I didn't meet Kaden's eyes. I choose to look at the finger marks on the FBI agent's neck. They were red and looked like they were beginning to swell up.

"No, you don't." Kaden's voice was sincere and monotonous, as if he were forcing himself to keep his voice flat. He threaded his fingers through mine, before continuing. "What would happen to me, if you left?"

Holden's words echoed in my head: We'll be left to pick up the pieces of his heart.

"I love you." Kaden's voice had grown softer, and now it was barely above a whisper.

My first thought was that this was a weird time to confess his love; even though it was romantic to be together in the middle of the night, under the stars. My second thought was that this situation was hardly one where love should be confessed, this situation should warrant feelings of disgust and hate. And then I realised- Kaden had actually spoken the words I had been longing to hear, and it was eaten away by the pain of having killed someone.

"I thought you were smarter than that," I observed. I was trying to blow his words off, especially since I knew his words couldn't be meant for me. "You can't love a monster."

"You're not a monster." His furrowed eyebrows were the only thing that made him look worried. How could he think that after he saw what I had done? I reasoned with him by gesturing at the lifeless form at my feet. "Those actions weren't yours," he told me.

"Then whose fault was it?" I hissed, through my teeth.

"I know you," Kade sighed, running a hand through his dishevelled hair. "There's no way in hell this is you. You said yourself that there's a something within you, something you can't control."

How could I explain it to him? The darkness was part of me, like an extension of my limbs. There was no getting rid of it.

" If you really love me, then leave." My eyes had begun to sting with unshed tears. I tried to keep my face expressionless, but I felt a drop of water trickle down my cheek and stop next to the corner of my mouth, caught between the crevice of my lips. I couldn't risk Kaden being here. "I don't want to hurt you."

"I'm not afraid of you." He took a step closer.

"You should be," I argued.

"I've never done what I should, so why start now?" He was standing directly in front of me. I could smell the fresh scent of vanilla that practically dripped off him and scented the air.

"Don't you value your life?" I asked, breathing heavily from the effect of his hands on my hips.

"It can't be called a life if you're not in it." He put his index finger under my chin and slowly lifted my face until my eyes met his.

"Kill me," I suggested. "Kill me," I repeated, taking note of the way his face darkened. "Kill me, before I kill you."

He was slightly taken aback, but his only reaction was to pull me closer.

"We're going to figure this out," he promised, after a couple of seconds of hesitation. The promise didn't sound empty, but the little voice inside my head told me it was a hopeless case.

I opened my mouth to say something, but my words were swallowed by the siren that broke out around us.

"Is that the police?" I questioned, wondering how they had found out about this murder, and how they had gotten here so soon.

Kaden's shoulders tensed and lines appeared on his forehead. "I know what police sirens sound like, this is something else." The sound was shrill and echoed through the night.

"Ambulance?" I suggested.

Kaden shook his head and looked down at where the dead lady lay. He tilted his head to read the word on her jacket and his pupils doubled in size. "FBI," he breathed. He reached down and plucked a phone-like device from the ground. The FBI agent had probably dropped it when she saw me.

The others are coming.

I took a step forward to where the sound was coming from. If Kaden wouldn't kill me, I had no doubt that these people would. I don't know how I knew this. Maybe it was because I suspected that these were the same people who had stormed into our house and shot at us? Kaden grabbed my upper arm, halting my progress. "Don't," he ordered.

" Let me go, " I protested, but his grip only tightened, and his fingernails dug into my flesh.

"I'm sorry," Kaden replied. I wanted to ask him what he was apologising for. Was it for not agreeing to kill me? Or not agreeing to let me go to the FBI? I didn't get a chance to ask, before he pressed a piece of material to my mouth. I was aware that the cloth was soft, but I was aware of nothing else as the smell of strong chemicals overpowered my senses.

Please vote and comment if you enjoyed this chapter.