Chapter 45

Chapter 45

"Bro, where were you? We waited outside for 30 minutes. If you would still like to visit, I'm in apartment 2C," the latest message on Zach's phone read. Figures: everything would work in our favour now that I needed to warn Sage that the FBI were on their way. Things always worked out in her favour. If everything had worked my favour, then maybe Sage would still be mine.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Holden had mastered the art of asking the same question a million times but using different wording, hoping to get a different answer.

I nodded my head slowly, even though it was a lie. I didn't want to do this, to see Sage leaning against Ryan instead of against me; but I had to protect her. Ryan might be her new boyfriend, but he was no knight in shining armour. She needed me there with her. Even if she rejected my love, I'd offer her protection. I'd suffer through seeing her with him, if it meant no harm would come her way.

The FBI was searching the area, but it didn't seem they had reached this building yet, so we still had some time. It may not be a lot of time, but at least it was something. It was difficult to know when everyone had gone to sleep, because from the outside we couldn't tell which was apartment 2C. We knew it was on the second floor, but we didn't know whether A was on the left or the right. We had to wait until all the lights on the second floor had gone off, before we headed into the building.

The hallways were dimly lit and the lights on the stairs glowed like little light bugs. The stairs curved upward steeply, and with the lack of light this made our ascent difficult. I didn't lose my footing, but Holden did on more than one occasion; thankfully, each time he was able to right himself. I decided to walk behind him, so that I could catch him if he fell.

When we arrived at 2C, Holden picked the lock with a twig he had found outside. If we had thought this through we would have brought one of our tools with us; but when we set out to find Sage, it hadn't crossed either of our minds that we'd be breaking into someone's apartment.

"Got it," Holden exclaimed when we heard a click as the doors swung open and invited us in. I was slightly surprised that this place didn't have an alarm.

We walked slowly as the area was pitch black. The curtains were thick enough to not let any light in. We didn't dare turn on the lights, for fear of alerting Ryan's parents, who I assumed still lived with him. Bumping into a table led me to believe that we were in the dining area. I carefully felt my way around the room, using the wall as my guide.

I jumped slightly when I touched flesh, but was reassured when I realised it was just Holden. "That's the main bedroom." He gestured with his hand. I had to squint to see where he was pointing. "So I guess that the bedroom next to it is...." he didn't finish his sentence, but I got what he was trying to imply: Ryan and Sage's bedroom. I swallowed thickly. This didn't anger me as much as I would have thought; pain took the place of anger.

I winced as the bedroom door squeaked, but full on grimaced when I saw two forms slumped on the beds. The smaller one was Sage and she slept with her back to Ryan. I felt slightly relieved when I noticed that they weren't touching. I smiled, thinking back to how Sage slept next to me, pressing her face into my chest and wrapping her arm around my waist.

I switched on the light, to observe her. Her dream was anything but peaceful. She was twitching nervously and breathing heavily, sweat dotting her forehead. I put my hand on her cheek. I sucked in a deep breath when she calmed, and a ghost of a smile appeared on her gorgeous face.

I bent my head over hers, wanting to kiss her. If she asked me to never do so again, I would understand, but for now she couldn't say anything. I gently engulfed her lips with mine. I knew when she woke up, because her hands instantly grabbed hold of me and pulled me to her. Her fingers tickled my neck as she deepened the kiss. That's when I knew that no matter how many times I pressed my lips to hers, it wouldn't be enough. I needed her to be mine. I wanted her more than anything.

As I pulled away from her, I smirked.

"Kaden." I closed my eyes, loving the way my name rolled out of her mouth. "What are you doing here?" She didn't bother whispering and this scared me, especially when Ryan stirred. I put a hand over her mouth, causing her to gasp in shock. My hand stifled whatever she was trying to say as she struggled against me.

"Please," I begged. "Hear me out."

She shook her head and tears streamed out of her eyes. She looked to her side and reached out a hand to Ryan. I used my free hand to grab her wrist, halting her progress. I climbed on top of her and straddled her hips to the bed. I brought my mouth to her and whispered, "You know that I'd never hurt you."

She didn't deny that statement, nor did she confirm it; she just continued to watch me with an expression that I didn't recognise. It wasn't fear, anger or pain, but something much deeper. Hidden somewhere in that gaze was love; she tried to hide it, but I saw through her façade. She still loved me, and I knew that her love for me was something that wouldn't die.

"I love you," I told her. "I love you more fiercely than I've ever loved anything." I felt her cheeks heat up, as she absorbed the truth of my words. She was wearing thin pyjamas, and she blushed when the top rode up her midriff and I ended up stroking her stomach. Her skin was cold as ice, and yet again I scowled at Ryan's inability to keep her warm. I removed my hand from her mouth as I saw the resolve to fight go out of her. I shrugged my jacket off and at the same time climbed off her, not wanting to crush her with my weight. I wrapped my jacket around her and tenderly cradled her damp cheek, before the sound of someone screaming brought us back to the present moment. Ryan bolted upright, startled by the same sound.