Chapter 48

Chapter 48

"He was shot with a mild tranquilizing dart," Kaden explained, plucking something out from Holden's thigh. The dart consisted of a silver tip and a red body; it looked like something one would use to pop balloons at a carnival game. It was so tiny, and therefore not surprising that I hadn't seen it. It was a relief to know the FBI agents' guns were filled with tranquilizing darts instead of actual metal bullets. "That's why I was able to drag him all the way to the car," Kaden continued, when neither Ryan nor I commented. "I'm surprised it didn't knock him out sooner."

"Even with tranquilizing fluid coursing through him he was still able to get the better of you," Ryan cheekily stated. We were all outside now and I wanted nothing more than to get back into the car to escape the cold of the night.

"Not like you were stronger than him," Kaden replied, with a tone that was tinged with bitterness and loathing.

"Who shot him?" I asked, wondering if either of them had seen something that I hadn't.

Kaden shrugged.

"Why didn't you tell us?" I asked.

"I would have told you sooner, if your boyfriend didn't point a gun at Holden." Kaden shook his head.

"You held a knife to Sage's throat." Ryan moved closer to Kaden, until both boys were standing an inch away from each other.

"The difference is," Kaden said as he ran a hand through his hair, pushing it out of his eyes, "the FBI wanted Sage alive. They couldn't give a damn about what happened to Holden."

"Please stop," I told them, not meeting either of their eyes. Instead I looked into the tree canopy, noting that an owl was staring down and regarding us with an air of wisdom. "And Ryan's not my boyfriend." I wasn't sure why I said this. Hadn't I decided a relationship with Ryan was what was best? Why did I care what Kaden thought? It was clear Ryan was hurt by my words, but he tried to mask it as best he could. We hadn't defined out relationship yet, but from the way he reacted it seemed that Ryan already considered me his girlfriend.

"I'm sorry," I apologised, placing a hand on Ryan's arm. I was about to say something more, but was distracted by the look of triumph on Kaden's face. I started to scold him, but gasped instead. There was a wide gash across his forehead, which dripped crimson blood onto his eyebrow. When we had hit the tree, he must have knocked his head on the steering wheel. My eyes filled with tears at the thought of him being in pain and holding it in the whole time. "You're..." I pointed to his face, unable to finish my sentence.

"Devastatingly handsome? Yeah, I know." He winked and gave me a lopsided smile, and his cockiness reminded of why I had fallen for him.

"Bleeding," I finished, touching his forehead with my index finger.

"That's not where I'm bleeding the most." He placed his closed fist on his chest. I got the feeling that we weren't talking about the same kind of bleeding anymore.

I cupped his face with my palm, causing him to turn his head and place a lingering kiss on my hand, a kiss that filled me with desire and longing. Suddenly I was aware of the rising level of intimacy of the situation, and jerked my hand away. I looked to Ryan, who was watching us with an unreadable expression. I wanted to apologise again, but didn't dare do so. It seemed best to let him think he was seeing something that wasn't there.

"We need to move the car." Kaden shook his head as if he was dazed.

"How?" I asked, scrutinizing the broken-down sedan. The hood had popped open and was spewing fumes into the air, forming a dark cloud of chemicals above our heads.