Chapter 42

Chapter 42

I let Holden lead the way to Zach's house, as he seemed like he knew where he was going. Last time we were here he was our driver. He didn't get drunk like the rest of us. The law about drinking and driving was the only law Flynn made us obey. He lectured us countless times about this, more for our safety than for anyone else's.

Holden knocked on the front door of the house we arrived at. I vaguely remembered the glass structure held up by stone pillars.

"Seems like your luck has run out," I whispered into Holden's ear, since the door wasn't opened by Zach himself, but by an elderly lady. I assumed this was Zach's grandmother. Her face was a map of wrinkles that stretched across her pale skin, and she surveyed us from behind thick goggles that made her eyes look big and beady.

"Can I help you, gentlemen?" she asked, with a heavy British accent.

"We're here to see Zach," I replied.

"More of his friends? Honestly, this place is becoming overridden."

"So we can't speak to him?" Holden addressed the old lady, but he looked at me out of the corner of his eye.

"Did I say that?" she asked. I could tell she was actually confused. It sounded like it wasn't a rhetorical question, the poor lady just couldn't remember what her own words had been.

"You actually told us to come inside and make ourselves at home," I told her, wondering how gullible and forgetful she was.

"Did I now?" She scratched her neck and racked her brain.

I nodded my head.

"Oh," she said and nodded her head the same way I had. "You two seem like very nice boys, but you'd better make it quick," she said as she wagged her finger at us. "Zach's not supposed to have any friends over, something about..." She looked up at the sky as if she was trying to remember what it was, but gave up after a while and opened the door for us.

"Thanks," I said, as I brushed past her and entered the house. There was a fireplace that was nestled in the wall. I could feel the heat from where I stood. I closed my eyes for a second, happy to be out of the cold.

"Zach!" she yelled up the stairs. I was surprised by the volume of her voice. I hadn't expected someone so old to be able to scream so loudly.

"What?" Zach yelled back, clearly irritated and not bothering to hide the annoyance in his voice.

"Your friends are here," she responded, not bothered by the attitude he presented to her.

Zach rushed down the stairs in nothing but sweatpants that hung low on his hips. His long hair was loose, and around his neck was a shark tooth necklace that looked like it was about to pierce his bare chest. He stopped short when his eyes met mine. "Who are you?"

"We were at your party a couple of weeks ago," I explained.

"What party?" His granny scrunched her wrinkly nose in confusion.

"Did one of my friends invite you?" Zach ignored her, knowing she would forget everything that was said soon enough.

"A friend of a friend." I wasn't sure how true this was, but I stuck to it, because I couldn't remember how we had heard about the party.

"So, what are you doing here? The party's long gone and I'm not hosting anymore for a long time."

"We needed to ask you something about Ryder," Holden told him.

"Ryan," I corrected him.

"What about Ryan?" Zach enquired, rubbing the small stubble of his chin.

"He was with a girl,' I stated.