Part 6-Kaden Blythe Chapter 54

Part 6-Kaden Blythe

Chapter 54

Why was it that the one girl I had opened my heart to didn't want me? I knew she loved me, so why the hell was she torturing me and torturing herself. I knew that each moment we were separated affected her just as much as it affected me.

When I found out that I hadn't in fact made Gina pregnant, I had been confident that when I told Sage this she'd come back to me; but she didn't. She chose him over me, because he needed her more.

It would have been nice to pretend that her words hadn't hurt me as much as they had, but each heartbeat echoed against my chest, reminding me that my heart had split into a million tiny pieces and would remain like that forever.

"Did Kaden Blythe just have his heart broken?" Aaron nudged me, trying to tease me out of my sullen mood.

"What does it look like?" I enquired, gesturing towards my face. My hair was plastered unattractively to my forehead and my skin felt dry and ashy. My hands kept twitching towards my upper arm, where three parallel scratches ran down my skin and made my skin look like it was welting. They were from our passionate kiss in the forest, when Sage had dug her nails into my skin, like she was marking me, making me hers.

"Do you want to go somewhere?" he enquired, taking a flower out of the vase that sat on the oak dinner table, and scrunching the petals in his palm.

"Like on a date?" His jokey attitude had rubbed off on me and I found that taunting someone else helped me get my mind off a certain red-headed beauty.

"It doesn't have to be," Aaron shrugged, playing along.

I chuckled at his reply, but still decided that stepping out of this house wasn't a good idea. "We can't really go anywhere, it's not safe."

"And by that you mean that it's not safe for you to leave her unattended." I knew immediately who he was taking about and I felt my cheeks warming, because he had seen right through me.

"He wouldn't jump in front of a bullet for her," I said, referring to Ryan.

"And you would?"

"Always," I replied, sincerely.

"Well, if we can't go to a club we can party in here." Aaron's face brightened and he clapped me on the back. I sucked in a breath when his splayed palm came into contact with my stab wound, that hadn't quiet healed yet. "I could have sworn that I saw some alcohol in the basement."

I gave him a double thumbs up as he disappeared out the door.

I was surrounded by silence, apart from the sound of the blaring TV. From the screaming and shouting I assumed Holden and Emma were watching a horror movie. They had probably snatched the TV remote away from Grace. I smiled at the thought of the sweet lady cowering in fear, but unable to tear her eyes away from the screen.

I was glad when Aaron returned with the booze. I needed something to numb my senses, because against my will my thoughts had wandered back to Sage. Her soft lips on mine. Her tiny body wrapped around me, her legs around my waist as I held her up. I shook my head. This girl was messing with me in a such a way that her voice was imprinted in my mind. I could almost hear her soft voice and her contagious laugh.

Aaron threw a bottle at me, and I was happy to see that it was filled to the rim. I needed every last drop I could get.

"Kaden?" I closed my eyes at the sound of my name on her lips. I hadn't even poured alcohol down my throat and I was already hallucinating.