Chapter 60

Chapter 60

I wasn't scared of Alicia, nor was I scared of the doctor. There was no place left in me for fear. All I felt was heartbreak; like someone had cruelly snapped my heart so many times that the pieces clattered against my ribcage, and the sharp pieces had managed to pierce my lungs. Kaden was gone. My mother wasn't my mother, and to top it all off I had been a guinea pig from the moment I was born.

The tube down my throat seemed to be cutting off my supply of oxygen completely. I found myself wondering if this was their silent way of killing me and if they had done away with Kaden in the same way. But then I remembered that Alicia had said they needed me, and I knew that I was in for a lot more pain before they killed me. Alicia had left a couple of minutes ago with the test tubes, and the doctor had left soon after a guard had whispered something in his ear. I wasn't curious enough to wonder what that something was. All I wanted to know was why he felt like he couldn't leave me alone. What was the need to leave someone to watch over me? Surely I didn't pose that much of a threat. But no, the doctor had chosen to leave a guard with me.

It took me a while to realise that this was the same guard who had carried me in here. He licked his lip appreciatively, reminding me of what he said earlier. I didn't want him to know that he was making me uncomfortable, but I couldn't help the shiver that shook my spine. I cleared all bad thoughts out of my head and fantasised about slitting my own wrist, since it would be much less painful. I wished Kaden had killed me when I had asked him to. I remembered the look on his face when he realised I was suicidal and how quickly he had managed to talk me out of it. Kaden, I whimpered, as I tried to say his name. His name came out as more of a sputter, but the feeling of his name on my lips caused a wave of calm to wash over me. Soon, I thought, I'll be joining you soon, Kaden.

"Seems like you've got a good gag reflex," the guard walked closer and stood next to my cot with a smug look on his face. "Any other girl would have puked all the way up that tube by now. He grabbed the long tube and twisted it once around his hand. I thought he might actually pull it out, but instead he sighed and slowly released it from his grasp. The tube led into some sort of container. The glass container was big and only a few drops of liquid were in it ... just enough to cover the base of the container. If they intended to fill the whole container, then this extraction process would take a lot longer than I had hoped.

The guard absentmindedly trailed a finger down my bare arm, leaving unpleasant goosebumps everywhere the pads of his fingers touched. I shook my head desperately at him and clenched my fists, unsure what else to do, since my movements were very restricted. He looked straight into my eyes and grinned devilishly. He continued his assault by dipping his fingers under one on my bra straps and pulling it over my shoulder, until it rested on my upper arm. I was relieved that he didn't take it all the way down, but the top of my left breast spilt out of the cup. I let out a cry that sounded like something between a hiccup and a sob, it wasn't loud enough to carry halfway across the room. He pressed his lips to my cleavage, before moving his mouth to my neck. He sucked hard enough to leave a mark. He pulled away from me and admired his work, stroking his thumb across the skin he had just irritated. He watched me the whole time, gauging my reaction. I guess the look of terror in my eyes pleasured him beyond measure, because just looking at me was enough to make him moan. He rested one of his hands on my hips and fiddled with the hem of my panty.

"Step away from her," someone commanded. My heart started pulsing and I took a deep breath to calm myself.

It's not him, the voice in my head said. Kaden's dead. It's probably just the doctor. But it sounded like Kaden, so much so that I had to close my eyes to prevent my little bubble of hope from popping. I let myself imagine that it was him, and that he had come here to save me one last time. I heard a crash and the sound of someone cursing. Each time the newcomer opened his mouth, he sounded more and more like Kaden. A tear slipped out of my eye, and once one had fallen more followed, until I was a rasping, crying mess.

"Hey, Foxie," someone caressed my cheek, causing warmth and a familiar tingle to spread through my body. "It's going to be okay," he promised.

I opened my eyes and gazed into the green eyes I knew and loved. Kaden's dark hair was messy and plastered to his forehead with sweat. His face was covered with a mixture of grime and blood, but of course he still looked like a hero out of an action movie: charming and handsome.

"I'm going to have to pull this out," he told me, and gestured towards the long pipe.

I wasn't sure if this was a dream, but I still nodded my head and winced, waiting for the pain that would confirm whether or not this was real.

He tugged at the pipe, and it was removed in one go.

I felt a slight relief as oxygen flooded my lungs, but my relief was short lived as my throat began burning. I gasped when I saw that the bottom of the plastic pipe was ringed red. I swiped a hand across my mouth to find that a solution of saliva and blood was dribbling out of the side of my mouth. Kaden, seeing my distress, quickly cast the tube away and pulled me to him.

"Is he dead?" I asked, referring to the guard whose head was twisted in what looked like a very painful way.

"Yes," Kaden grimaced. "I couldn't let him live, not after I saw him trying to..." He clenched his jaw and turned away from me. "I'm sorry, you shouldn't have had to see me kill someone." He worked at the knots that bounded my wrists and ankles.

I didn't bother telling him that I hadn't seen anything. Instead I just pulled his head down so that it rested on my shoulder. I played with the hair at the nape of his neck, gently tugging it, because I knew that was what calmed him.

"How did you find me?" I enquired.

"I would move buildings to find you," he replied, wrapping him arms around me as if he would never release me. "Thankfully, it didn't come to that. All I had to do was extract information from a scientist and steal a guard's uniform". I didn't realise he was dressed in a navy-blue suit until he pointed it out. The suit was a bit big for him. It would take a lot more than a baggy uniform for him to fit in here. I wanted to ask him how he had acquired the uniform, and if he had killed anyone in the process; but I didn't. Something told me that I wouldn't like the answer I got.

"We should leave," I suggested. I got off the bed and started walking towards the door. I wobbled slightly when I was reminded of the wound in my thigh and bit back a cry.

"You okay?" Kaden worriedly wrapped an arm around my waist and supported my body with his. "Where does it hurt?"

"Nowhere," I lied.

Kaden raised an eyebrow and put a finger under my chin, so that I was looking at him. "Where does it hurt?" he repeated, not irritated at me for not answering the first time but pleading with me to tell him.

"My leg," I responded, jutting out my trembling bottom lip.

"I'll carry you," he offered with no hesitation.

"You're hurt as well. I can walk," I assured him. I pressed my hand to my thigh, it was wet and sticky.

I used the wall as a crutch as he quickly removed the jacket he was wearing and handed it to me. I blushed at the realisation that he was looking at me in nothing but underwear; but surprisingly his eyes didn't linger like I had expected them to.

I slipped his jacket on and zipped it up to my neck, grateful that it was big enough to cover my behind. Kaden then took his shirt off and deftly used his teeth to tear it up into thin strips. He bent down and tenderly lifted my leg, so that my foot rested on his knee, giving him access to my thigh.

"Don't." I stopped him, by putting my hand on his shoulder. "Don't touch my blood," I finished.

"It didn't affect me the first time, it won't affect me now. Trust me," he said, in a soft tone.