Chapter 61

Chapter 61

Outside, the walls and ceiling were painted white, and that gave the illusion of a never-ending corridor. "Do you know where you're going? " I enquired, taking in the beads of sweat on Kaden's forehead and trying to ignore the way his scars strained against his muscles.

"Back the way I came." Kaden clenched his jaw and didn't meet my eyes, confirming that he didn't know how we were getting out of here. He didn't want to admit it, fearful that he would make me worried.

"Okay," I whispered softly, before he grabbed the top of my arm and yanked me behind a pillar.

He placed a finger over my lips. "Someone's coming," he hissed into my ear. He pressed his body against mine and tried to hide both our bodies behind the thin pillar. I looked worriedly at where the overhead light cast shadows of our bodies on the floor. I could feel the uneven rise and fall of Kaden's chest, and I found that my breathing pattern was altering itself to match his. I could tell, from the way he cocked his head to the side, that he was straining to hear what was being said around us. I could hear bits and pieces of conversation. It was nothing definite, but I was able to get the gist of the matter. They knew we were missing, and the entire FBI team was looking for us. I waited until I couldn't hear anything anymore, before turning to face Kaden. I was surprised to see that his eyes were boring into mine and he watched me with a grave intensity.

"I can't breathe when you're smouldering me with your eyes," I confessed.

"What makes you think it's any easier for me?" he questioned, titling his head to the side and dipping it slightly, so that he was at eye level with me. "Being close to you affects me in a way that shouldn't be possible, and I fucking hate it. I hate that you have so much control over me and that I can't walk away from you; because you'll just find some way to get yourself in trouble and I'll have to be the one to save your ass time and time again." His tone was harsh, his eyes wild and his body tense, caging me in.

"Will you walk away from me once all this is over?" Tears pooled in my eyes, but I quickly blinked them away. His words hurt me, more than I wanted to admit. "I'm sorry that I'm such a hazard. I'll try harder not to drag you into any of my problems." It wasn't fair on him. Ryan was my boyfriend. I should have asked him for help, not Kaden.

"I wish I had it in me to walk away from you." Kaden cupped my cheek and his voice immediately softened. I gasped when I realised that he was crying. I hadn't noticed it sooner, because the blood caked on his face was hard to look past, but standing close to him, I could see his eyes glistened. He was doing a pretty good job of holding it in and I wondered how long he had been feeling this pain. Since you left him for Ryan, my subconscious reminded me.

Without warning Kaden crushed his lips to mine. His lip was cut badly, and I tasted the salty tang of blood on my tongue, but the taste of blood was quickly diluted by the taste of the kiss. His tongue tried to pry my lips open and I stubbornly refused to comply. I wanted to push him away, but I chose not to. I wanted to believe that I tolerated the kiss because I was afraid of aggravating his gaping wounds, but I knew that wasn't true. I was afraid of him leaving me. Was it selfish that I still wanted to keep him around? I felt his tongue stroke mine and it became clear that I wasn't thinking with my brain. Once again my heart reacted to him and overpowered my brain.

"We should get going," he said, as he pulled away from me. I expected to see a victorious smirk on his face, but was surprised to see a glum look. His eyes were hooded, -barely open,- and the corners of his mouth curled downwards.

"Yeah," I rasped, not wanting him to know that I needed a couple of minutes to recover from his heated kiss.

"Making out while we have a bunch of FBI agents on our tail probably isn't a good idea." I couldn't tell if he was joking or not, but I mutely nodded my head in reply. "So, stop distracting me and let's get out of here?" He gestured to the path ahead with one of his hands. "Preferably now."