Chapter 49

Chapter 49

Barely any morning sunlight made it through the thick tree canopy, and the darkness was all consuming.

We were walking through the forest and it looked like the cover of a paranormal thriller novel. The tree trunks stretched upwards and curved down from the top, like it was caging us in. The branches jutted out in all different directions and the spookiness was heightened by the fact that only the top part of the trees were covered in leaves. The rest of the branches were bare and looked like long fingernails. The only beautiful thing about this setting was that dew drops formed bubbles on the leaves, and they looked like crystals. This made a ghost of a smile form on my lips, but the smile wasn't enough to make me feel better.

My feet were sore; as I walked my soles became covered in callouses and blisters. I was barefoot: shoes were the last thing on my mind when the FBI stormed the apartment. Ryan's hand was clutched in my own. He stumbled often, because he didn't have his glasses or his contact lenses.

"I feel like my body's been asleep forever." Holden stretched as he walked.

"I feel like the whole lot of you are slowing me down." It was like Kaden had a sudden recharge of energy, after out little tirade yesterday, and he outpaced all of us. He walked briskly and his feet kicked up dust as they hit the ground.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled as I cast my eyes downwards, finding it easier if I was able to see what was in my path. That way I could avoid stepping on rocks, and chose to step on the decomposing leaves instead.

"Don't apologise to him." Ryan squeezed my hand and then lifted it up to his mouth. After brushing his lips across my knuckles, he continued talking. "I'm the one who should be apologising to you, for being so cold to you last night." He rubbed the back of his neck and then moved his arm, so that it rested on my back. He guided me forward, before realising that it wasn't a good idea to lead me, since he was as blind as a bat.

"It's ok," I told him, trying to ignore the fact that both Holden and Kaden were listening to our conversation.

"No, it's not. I'll make it up to you." His voice was remorseful and affectionate at the same time, making me feel bad for not telling him about the kiss I had shared with Kaden a couple of hours ago.

"Finally!" Holden exclaimed, and I was momentarily shocked that he even cared about where Ryan and I stood with each other; but then I noticed that his eyes were trained on something in the distance. "Civilisation," he said with a grin. Ever since he woke up, he hadn't mentioned his sister again and I wondered if he remembered anything about her rising from the dead.

I looked to where he was pointing. I forgot to pay attention to where I was walking and walked straight into Kaden's back. I took a step back and poked my nose with my index finger. It didn't hurt: the cold had numbed it.

"You okay?" Ryan immediately came to my rescue.

"No." It wasn't a lie. I was not okay. It hurt. Every part of me hurt. The cold had numbed my limbs, but that didn't stop them from hurting. They hurt every second Kaden wasn't touching them. I stomped my feet on the ground when I realised that I couldn't be mad at him, because I was the one that had pushed him away.

Ryan grinned, and his body shook with laughter. His eyelids were closed, encasing the warmth of his golden eyes. I always thought that his eyes were the weirdest colour I had ever seen. They were the colour of the sun, which is something I've never seen before, and it gave him an angelic appearance.

"What?" I shifted uncomfortably while his gaze smouldered me.

"You look like a disgruntled toddler," he replied. "You're so flipping cute."