Chapter 19

Chapter 19

We were sitting outside and eating breakfast together. Usually everyone had breakfast in their own time, but today the smell of freshly baked donuts was the first thing I'd smelt when I stepped out of my room after getting a few hours of sleep after much convincing from Sage. Flynn had taken the initiative to treat us and had gone to Dunkin' Donuts earlier.

It was a nice change, getting the whole family together first thing in the morning. Even Holden looked happy. I had never seen him smile before and now the smile looked out of place on his face, like he was putting it on just for show. But I knew he was genuinely smiling. It was clear in the way he sat relaxed with his hands over his knees. He looked like a boy, instead of a man, now that the frown had disappeared off his face. I wondered how long this would last.

The wind blew frantically, causing Sage's hair to lash out in all different directions. "Sorry," she said, when her hair hit me square in the face. She stuffed her hair into the back of the t-shirt she had borrowed from Emma, to keep it out of the way.

I reached out and grabbed her hands. "I like your hair down." She jerked slightly when my cool fingers slipped down the back of her neck and restored her hair to its former position.

She tried to hide her blush by biting into a chocolate frosted donut.

"You still didn't tell me how you ended up in jail," I pointed out.

"You didn't tell me either," she responded, after swallowing a piece of doughnut, and taking a sip of coffee. We were far enough away from the others for us to talk without them overhearing, and the sound of the howling wind helped.

"Yes, I did," I argued. Sage rolled her eyes at me. "Fine. I robbed a supermarket." I shrugged it off and looked towards Aaron who was stuffing his face and getting scolded by Emma.

"Well, my story's not as exciting as that," she replied sarcastically, before rubbing her hands together to rid them of crumbs.

I waited for her to continue.

"I killed someone," she told me.

As ridiculous as the statement seemed, I didn't laugh. She was an open book...there was no way she would be able to lie to me.

"Two people actually." Her voice was devoid of any emotion, but I could tell, from her knitted brows and pursued lips, that the thought was very disturbing to her.

I don' know why she was confessing to me, but I knew she needed me to listen, so I gave her my undivided attention.

"There's this darkness inside me," she explained. "I don't know what it is. But a whole different version of me just pops out, like that." She clicked her fingers to emphasise her point. "My mother knows something and so does Patrick..."

I cut her off. "Officer Stark?"

She nodded. "He's my mother's boyfriend," she clarified. "He helped cover up the murders I committed, so I don't know why he arrested me after going through all that effort to keep me safe. It has something to do with the people that tried to kill us."

"What?" I was sure I heard her right, but I couldn't imagine why she would be a target, even if she had committed a murder... multiple murders.

"Kaden," her eyes were wide. "There's something seriously wrong with me." And I saw a trickle of water make its way from her eye, down her cheek. "Please don't be afraid of me."

"Foxie." I cupped her face and she leaned into my touch. I could never be scared of her. She couldn't hurt a fly, so how was it possible that she had she murdered someone? It didn't make sense. There was something seriously fucked up going on here.

Sage tilted her head up, my hand still on her cheek. Her eyelids closed her hazel eyes in and I moved closer against my will, like we were opposite poles of a magnet. I could hear her breath escalate as I lightly brushed my lips against hers. I had meant it to be a feather light kiss, but when our lips touched they locked together. There was something so right about the way we fit together, as if a huge chunk of me was missing until I met her. She made me feel whole in a way that was totally new to me. I moved my hand to cup the back of her neck, making sure she couldn't break free. Her hands were soon twined around my neck and I could feel the heart of her body radiating onto me. The kiss ended too soon and she pulled away.

"That meant nothing," she whispered. "I still hate you."

I didn't get a chance to reply before the sound of Aaron clearing his throat got our attention. "Ever heard the phrase get a room?" He raised his eyebrows and made a gagging gesture with his thumb.

The look on Holden's face was pure fury. The earlier atmosphere was destroyed and everything was back to normal. It was so easy to forget that Holden had ever smiled, as he regarded us with scorn.

"She can't stay," Holden said, folding his arms across his chest.

I didn't respond. I didn't need to; Flynn did a fine job by himself. "Yes, she can." His eyes were directly on Sage as he said this. Flynn's word was law. Even Holden wouldn't dare defy him.

Please vote and comment if you enjoyed this chapter.