Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Emma and Holden looked like something out of a Romeo and Juliet play, the last scene specifically. Her head was on his chest. They were both lifeless, but there was something beautiful about the moment. Sure, there was blood, but her face was flushed and rosy and contrasted with his pale skin. There were dust particles in the air that floated above their heads, the sun reflecting off these particles made it seem like the couple were under a spotlight.

"We can't just leave them here." It was Aaron who said what we all had been thinking.

"We can't move them, they're covered in my blood," I replied, with a shake of my head.

"I highly doubt what you're thinking is true," Kaden protested, running his hands through his hair. He was still shirtless, and I wondered if he was feeling cold. One of the kitchen windows was open and I could feel a cool breeze hitting the side of my cheek. "There's no such thing as poisonous blood." He had been against the thought from the time I had first told him about my blood being diseased.

"Why do think I don't get my period?" I looked up at him, from my perch on the floor. Only when Aaron and Kaden both gave me disgusted looks, did I realise this was not something to discuss with boys.

"Too much information," Aaron replied, scratching the back of his neck uncomfortably.

"Sorry," I winced.

"There's nothing wrong with your blood," Kaden told me. "I touched it, and I'm fine."

"Probably because I made you wash your hands," I argued. "My blood wasn't on you for long." But neither was it on Holden for more than a couple of minutes and he still fainted, in fact it was on Holden for a shorter time than it had been on Kaden. Then how...? I shook the thought away. This was not something I wanted to tell Kaden; it would not help my case in the least.

Kaden crouched down next to me and gave me his hand. I looked down at the pale skin of his palm but didn't put my hand in his. "I don't want to make you sick."

"You won't," he responded, throwing me a sheepish smile.

"You don't know that," I pointed out.

"Yes, I do." His voice was confident, too confident. "How many times have I proved you wrong?"

"None."

"Yeah, right," he said, dropping his hand and placing it on my thigh, in the exact place that there was a spot of blood. I gasped and tried to push him away, but he had already taken his hand away and the tips of all his fingers were covered in sticky blood. It was weird: my blood hadn't dried yet; it was still just as wet as when it had come out of me.

"What did you do?" I growled, unable to keep my voice calm.

"This is me proving you wrong," he smirked.

"Kaden," I sobbed. "You're such a goddamn idiot." I wanted to tell him to wash his hands again, but I knew that he wouldn't listen to me.

"Did you just swear?" Aaron tried to hide his shock with a deep exhale.

"Yeah," Kaden replied for me, the corners of his lips tilting upwards. "Earlier she said the word sex, guess she's not as innocent as we all thought."

"I'm sorry, how... how can you joke at a time like this?" I enquired, shifting my gaze from Kaden to Aaron and back to Kaden again.

"We weren't joking, it was just the truth," Kaden shrugged. "Plus, there isn't much else we can do; you've already said we can't move them," he finished, gesturing towards where Holden and Emma lay.

I shivered involuntarily as I thought about what would happen if they didn't wake up.

"You cold?" Kaden asked, crossing his legs and opening his arms for me to crawl into them.

"No," I lied. I had forgotten I was cold, until Kaden mistook my shiver for being cold.

"When have you ever been able to lie to me?" He scooted closer to me and gathered me up into his arms, and soon my back was flush against his chest. I sighed deeply as I felt the heat radiating off him. He pushed my hair over my good shoulder and gently kissed my bandage. "I still haven't fainted," he pointed out.

"I'm sorry, but how can you two do...." Aaron paused, trying to find the best way to get his message across, "...this," he finished, using his hands to draw a circle around our bodies. "Especially at a time like this," he said, echoing my words from earlier.

"He's right," I agreed, trying to move away from Kaden. He pulled me back into him, with such force that we both fell over, me on top of him. "Ouch," I exclaimed, as a piercing pain shot through my shoulder.

"Oh shit." Kaden somehow managed to shift his position, until we were both sitting upright again.

"I'm okay," I reassured him, and touched my wound. I instantly regretted this action since the pain only got worse.

"There should be painkillers somewhere in here," Kaden suggested, reaching behind me for the first aid kit. He turned the whole box upside down, so that its contents were displayed on the floor. He sifted through the various boxes, until he found a small box labelled Paracetamol.

"It'll make me sleep."

"That'll probably be best," Kaden replied, as he walked over to one of the cherry wood kitchen cupboards and took a glass cup out of it. He filled the cup with water and brought it back to me. "You have to," he said, when I made no move to receive the contents of his hands. "You know me well enough to know that if you don't take it yourself, I will shove it down your throat." I took the glass without a second thought, knowing full well he would do what he threatened. I put the tablet on my tongue and poured water down my throat. I don't know if it was because the tablet was too big, or because of my current condition, but it hurt when I swallowed.

I handed back the glass and scrunched my nose at him.

"I need to see if you swallowed," he ordered.

"I'm not a child." I rolled my eyes at him.

He cocked his head to the side and put one of his hands under my chin, forcing it upwards. He was gentle, but it was clear that he was considering prying my lips open. I opened my mouth a little bit to show him that the tablet was long gone, and he smiled before pressing his lips against mine. He was careful not to touch me, but even without his touch the kiss lacked passion. I could feel a hint of stubble grazing my jawline, and I turned my head to the side, wanting more of him; but there was a big part of me that knew I shouldn't show that I was enjoying this. Kaden and I were over and that was that. He had to be with Gina, because his unborn baby was on the way. I pulled away from him, abruptly enough to leave him shocked.

"Next time, please warn me," Aaron stated, "so that I can book the two of you a room."

Please vote and comment if you enjoyed this chapter.